Key West & Nassau suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Key West for one day and Nassau for one day on our Carnival cruise. Any suggestions of where to go, what to see? We are not interested in the tourist traps (straw market, Atlantis etc). Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 01:00 PM

The tour of Hemingway's house in Key West is nice, especially if you like cats. Non-touristy in Nassau is a bit tougher. You may want to just hang out on the beach...
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM

For key west, there are the beaches. The old houses and museum, the various antique shops & restaurants.
For Nassau, the beaches, old colonial buildings & shopping.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 02:01 AM

In Nassau if you walk on one of the side streets (with back towards ocean) only a few blocks there are some interesting buildings, a couple of churches that are hundreds of years old (how did they ever survive hurricanes?) and some nice gardens - definitely non-touristy and some of the buildings are open to visitors. A few little shops where there were no tourists - I enjoy going into regular stores when I travel to see what real people buy and what it costs. A nice stroll for an hour or so and gives you a little view of real Nassau.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 04:18 AM

Don't just visit Key West...explore it and discover what life here is all about. We think of Key West as our beautiful little island town with an amazing back yard. So go beyond the confines and reach out to experience our local eco-system first hand.Come aboard and we'll glide across pristine local waters in search of dolphin, maybe do a little snorkeling, or just relax at a sandbar...it's your call.

http://www.cruiseanswers.co.uk/
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 09:40 AM

We did that cruise last year. Had a blast. Definately a party cruise. We did the pub crawl on Key West. It was fun but the tour guide was moving a little too slow for us. We left the tour and moved on to the last stop where we sat and talked with the local bartender. Had a great time sitting there with her and people watching. In Nassau we did the snorkel tour. This is so not my thing but I really did enjoy seeing all the pretty fishes. This tour also has the kayak rentals. I know for a fact that the kayakers didn't see as much fish as we did. Not sure that I would have been satisfied with the kayak tour. When we finished the tour we had planned on shopping in Nassau. That didn't work out because the shops closed up at 6 pm. It bummed me out. There was plenty of time for shopping first and then the tour. If I had known I would have done that but I didn't. Not sure what day of the week it was but it's something to keep in mind. It was my own fault but we had a small medical emergency that morning and it kept us on board the ship all morning before the tour.
Will you be on the Fascination?
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Follow in Papa's footsteps: a 2-mile Hemingway hike:

1. Start at the Hemingway House, 907 Whitehead St. Now a registered National Historic Landmark, the two-story Spanish Colonial mansion was home to Ernest and Pauline (Pfeiffer) Hemingway from 1931-1939. See the studio where Hemingway wrote Death in the Afternoon and The Snows of Kilimanjaro. The house is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily and includes a gift shop. Admission is $11 for adults ($1 off to AAA members), $6 for kids 6-12, free to kids under 6. Guided tours are available. (305) 294-1136. www.hemingwayhome.com.

Next, head north on Whitehead to Petronia Street. Turn left. Walk 2 blocks to the intersection with Thomas Street.

2. Blue Heaven Restaurant, 729 Thomas St. During Hemingway's time here, the quirky cafe with yummy granola and a whole lot more was the site of an open-air boxing arena. He was referee for Friday-night fights. Boxers were paid 50 cents a round. The building once housed a bordello. These days the eatery is a tourist favorite. Be prepared for dirt floors and good food. And beware of long lines and roaming roosters.

Go east on Petronia to Duval Street. Turn left and continue to the northwest corner of Duval and Fleming.

3. Crowne Plaza La Concha Resort, formerly the Colonial Hotel, 430 Duval St. Back in 1928, when Hemingway made his inaugural visit to Key West sailing aboard a steamship from Cuba, this seven-story hotel was the first thing he saw. That's because it is and was the city's tallest building. The Hemingways booked rooms there for friends and relatives. While you're there, take the elevator to the roof-top bar for a magnificent view of the city.

Go east on Fleming to Elizabeth Street. Turn right at the Monroe County Library to Windsor Lane. Turn left on Windsor until you reach the church at the intersection with Truman Avenue.

4. St. Mary, Star of the Sea, 1010 Windsor Lane. Hemingway, who converted to Catholicism when he married Pauline Pfeiffer, belonged and donated an altar to this church.

Walk southwest on Windsor to Margaret Street. Take Margaret to Fleming.

5. Electric Kitchen, 830 Fleming. The only thing electric here in Hemingway's time was a few bare lightbulbs strung from the ceiling. The food was cheap (20 to 40 cents for breakfast) and good and the place, operated by Rhoda Baker (aka Rutabaga) was a favorite Hemingway hangout.

Continue north on Margaret to the waterfront, Land's End Village.

6. Land's End Village and Marina (formerly Thompson's Docks), 1 Lands End Village. An avid fisherman and boater, Hemingway often visited and took charter boats from the docks owned by his friend Charles Thompson. Thompson and his two brothers controlled the sea turtle industry in the Keys and Central America. The site of the cannery is now a restaurant, bar and museum called Turtle Kraals.

Go south on Caroline Street. Take Caroline west to the southwest corner at the intersection with Simonton.

7. Casa Antigua, Papa's first pad, 314 Simonton St. The apartment/auto dealership complex where Hemingway first lived is a private home today. The couple stayed in a drab set of rooms in an apartment above the garage. Hemingway worked on A Farewell to Arms here. The home has a magnificent atrium garden, and a Caribbean gift shop. The garden is open for tours and visitors can glimpse the apartment where Hemingway stayed. Casa Antigua is the site of the annual awards presentation for the Lorian Hemingway Short Story Competition directed by Ernest's granddaughter, an author, too.

Go north on Simonton to Greene Street, past Duval to Captain Tony's.

8. Captain Tony's Saloon, the first Sloppy Joe's, 428 Greene St. Hemingway was a silent partner to boat captain and rum runner Joe Russell, who opened this speakeasy when Prohibition ended in 1933. Hemingway convinced Joe to call the place "Sloppy Joe's" rather than the "Blind Pig," a term used for illegal bars. In 1937, Sloppy Joe's moved to its current location on Duval Street.

Take Greene Street east to the northeast corner of Greene and Duval.

9. Sloppy Joe's, 201 Duval St. Hemingway met his third wife Martha Gellhorn at this Sloppy Joe's. A number of his belongings, including uncashed royalty checks and sections of the original manuscript of To Have and Have Not, were found stored there after his death. Before it was the most popular bar on Duval, this building housed a fine restaurant called Victoria. The Spanish man who owned it had an unfortunate name ��� Farto. Thousands of tourists come to Sloppy Joes each year to toast the author and look at all the Hemingway memorabilia, including news clippings and art work depicting Hemingway.

Lunch is at #2

Source: Hemingway's Key West by Stuart B. McIver (Pineapple Press, $10.95)

Pjk

Pjk