Trip to Peggy';s Cove

Search

Trip to Peggy';s Cove

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Peggy';s Cove

I am going on the Voyager( 5 nite cruise) in August to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. The RCL offers a trip to Peggy's cove. Should I book it ahead of time or wait til I get to port?
This is our first cruise! Any other suggestions for good side trips in these two places? Thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Lila
Here you are again. You really are researching this.

I've never berthed in Nova Scotia, but I suspect you be coming into Halifax. It's a great sea port. I spent 2 weeks there and travelling in a rented car. Peggy's cove is beautiful, but if going there limits your time in Halifax to only an hour, well I'd opt for going to the maritime museum in Halifax instead. Halifax has great night life. It's a college city and capital of NS. Lots of history. A hike up Citidal is worthwhile, public gardens, downtown cafes and craft shops. If 2 days, then Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove would also be on my list. I'd book the bus tour unless you and hubby don't mind doing the driving yourself. Highway is good, and there aren't huge lineups (or there weren't 12 years ago) to anything. I think you can probably have TA arrange a rental car.

As for New Brunswick, I'm guessing that you're going to St John. he bBay of Fundy is famous too. Ship building, fishing, forestry, and so important historically. I've never been so can't suggest anything specifically. RCCL will have lots of info in their cruise land tours book, and after you board I expect will have written info and maybe even a lecture. I try to attend to one source at least, but usually I go on 12-14 day trips so don't know how packed your time is.

As for which seating, I think you have to decide that. It's personal preference. I like to eat at 6 but others prefer later. You'll get great service and excellent cuisine either way. If you really don't want late dining, try to get it changed before you board. Your TA should be able to help you. I once had to wait in linne after I boarded to request change. It's a big hassle for staff to remake that list at that late time, especially on a large ship.

Again, best wishes.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Sadly, I think the Public Gardens in Halifax were badly damaged during the hurricane last year. The first time in Halifax we hired a driver who took us for a tour...and he took us to the graves of the Titanic victims.. one of the most beautiful and moving sights...then to the Citadel in time for the noon changing of the guard..then he picked us up and took us to the waterfront where we had lunch. This trip we took the Harbor Hopper which took us all around Halifax and dropped us off at the Maritime Museum. The problem with Peggys Cove is that it's a long trip and if you've never seen the rugged beauty of the coast it would be worthwile, but if the fog rolls in and it does.. you see very little.. Halifax has a wonderful meandering boardwalk from the cruise ships where you will see many street entertainers and craft people...Where else are you going?
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:09 AM

Hi: Thinking of cruising and came across your post. I was in New Brusnwick (1st week of July) and stayed downtown at the Hilton with views or the port and whiele I was there the Voyager and a Carnival ship pull in.

There's plenty to do within walking distance of the ship. An indoor walkway connects the Hotel with the Delta Brusnwick mall, New Brunswick Museum, a day spa, shops and the huge indoor farmers market! In addition you can always arrange a cab to take you to the Reversing Falls and Rest. & or take the Reversing Falls Jetboat ride.

Good luck
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:28 AM

I would suggest to you that if you did the trips by a local taxi or tour company you would be much better off for it. There will be on the wharf when you arrive taxis & tour company avaiable to take you where your heart desires and ussally they are cheaper than the boat. Top put you mind at rest the people providing service from wharf side are all licesened to be there to provide service they even have a flat rate fee put in place by the city. Hope this helps. If you need any other info please feel free to contact me at [email protected] I'll be happy to answer your questions.