Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Early or late seating for Mediterranean cruise?

Jun 29th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

I originally booked for late seating for our trip with RCCL to the Mediterranean next Summer, but now I am doubting my choices since I keep reading that the late seatings in Europe are later than the Caribbean to accomodate Europeans.
I thought the late seating would be great since that would give us more time to spend at port, but the late seating is set to 9pm and 9:30pm, too late for us. Also, I keep hearing of people complaining that when they choose late seating they miss some of the cruise's shows.
But the early seating is too early 6:00 and 6:30pm. I wish they had an 7 or 8pm one, but they don't.
I am not sure what to do?????
In Spain we depart at 7pm, Nice 11pm, Livorno 6pm, Naples 8pm, Venice 5pm, Croatia 6pm, Corfu 7pm, and Rome 7pm.
What do you think?
I want to be able to see as much as I can, have time to come back and get all dressed up for dinner, enjoy the shows, AND be able to go to sleep and rest enough for the next day.
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Definitely LATE seating---as you will be doing excursions and need time to get back to the ship and relax a little before dinner...

We have done 3 Med cruises and always do late seating...and love it...

You will not miss the shows as they have them either AFTER late seating or BEFORE late seating.....don't worry..
Jun 29th, 2004, 07:34 PM

We always eat at the late seating -- It usually starts at 8:30pm -- at least that's been my experience on celebrity and RCCL.

If you have young children, you might want to consider the early seating.
Jun 30th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Do late. No sweat. You'll get into the swing of things.
Jun 30th, 2004, 07:00 AM

Take the early seating, You will have no problem with shore trips as they have to be back anyway. You have more options with the early seating and unless your normal dining is 9 or so you will be starved from all the day's activity. The early seating lets you get your meal, enjoy a show and still get enough rest for an early start. Otherwise you will forego your siteseeing (everything is a choice though...) Yes the earlier poster is right, but the shows are taped and broadcast on the small room TV's!
Jul 26th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Hi, I'm doing ta similar cruise next summer, I'd be interested in what you did in Nice. I was thinking of going to Monte Carlo. I was on another cruise and we liked the late seating and never missed a show. Don't forget if you do and excursion you can eat lunch on your own and pick the time. If we found a good tavern with fun people we did not hurry back to the ship. We also will bring some cheeze, crakers and the same for the cabin and replinsh it at each port to ward off the hungries before dinner.