To do the Berlin Tour or Not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be cruising (our first) the Baltic on the Celebrity Constellation in July and need some help with deciding whether or not we should go to Berlin. Is is worth the 5 hour car/train trip?
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM

I did it and enjoyed it a lot. Berlim was a good surprise.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 09:43 AM

We took a Baltic cruise on the Constellation last July and did not go to Berlin specifically because of the amount of time it took to get there.

If you decide not to go to Berlin, there are nice things to do a little closer to where the ship docks. We took the train to Rostock in the morning and then returned to Warnemunde to have lunch and stroll a bit around there.

Others on our cruise went to Lubeck or Schwerin, which they said they enjoyed.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM

We went on our Baltic cruise in July 09 with Azamara. If you haven't been, or don't plan on going back, then going to Berlin is worth the trip. We opted to do other things only because we are going back for our own driving trip at some point. Pasting the link to my blog in case you're interested on some of the sites we saw on our cruise.

http://miner-heretodaytheretomorrow.blogspot.com/
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 01:47 PM

patandhank

I re-read your trip report and just cannot believe the

horrible time you had disembarking in St. Petersburg.

( That is almost a KGB type of treatment !?))

Guess I was luckier than you .
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM

Hi Percy,

I think you were luckier. The good news is that we didn't let it override our enjoyment of St. Petersburg and the cruise overall!

Next up - Lisbon to Rome with Oceania on 8/24! And then planning that African Safari!

Hope you've got something fun planned!

Pat
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 05:47 PM

Well I would like to go to Moscow or do the long Rhine , Danube River cruise.

Lisbon to Rome sounds great.

I was in Rome 2 years ago. You will like it . Try to see the Sistine Chapel if the line up is not out of sight !
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 10:37 AM

I might as well give my two cents about going to Berlin:

Going to Berlin by train will take about 3.5 hours one way, so it's a matter of time.

I would say if you only have a day , you may as well spend it in Rostock.

Berlin is definitely worth a visit

BUT you should have at least 2 days there. If you don't have adequate time then you should spend your time in Warnemünde and Rostock.

Warnemünde is a cute seaside town .

Rostock...... The town is also very nice and worth getting some pictures of sites here .

Waramunde has a shopping area along the water that has a nice waterside walk in the late afternoon.

With a full day you should have time to see both places.

Read what patandhank did at this port.

Usually some cruise ships give you the option of either having Warnemunde or Oslo Norway as a port of call.

If you have this option ..always take Oslo !!

The reasons are :

1. You will have a much better chance to see Berlin in your future travels , than you will to see Oslo.

2.The ride there and back ( from Warnemunde to Berlin) ..is long.

Therfore you can just skim the major places, there is no time to go into Museums (of which Berlin has many terrific ones)

I doubt you will have time to do a boat ride down the River Spree.

You certainly cannot go to visit the Reichstag and walk about that glass dome on top.( no time ...line up is too long )

You cannot go up to the Revolving Tower ( Fernsehsterm) for panormaic views of Berlin and lunch ( again no time due to line ups.)

I took Oslo rather than Warnemunde ,and I am glad I did... because the following year (I did not know it at the time)..

but I went to Germany and spent 3 full days in Berlin, not counting the day I arrive.

Berlin is a lovely place, so try to save it for when you will have ample time.

Anyway that is what I would do.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:40 AM

We're doing the sailing that leaves July 27th. We're not heading to Berlin as the length of the train trip is impractical for us.

Our plan to stay around Warnemunde and enjoy the beach if we can. We may consider something nearby, but with two young kids, we might just take the day to enjoy the pool and nearby town.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Good move Ryan, have a great time
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 06:00 AM

Nancydarst,
Wondering if you're back and have some suggestions?

We leave on the 7/27 Constellation sailing.

Considering taking my daughter to the ballet on the first night in St. Petersburg. Is there anything special on the ship that occurs that night that offers a better option?
Thanks
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM

On our cruise last summer (Celebrity Constellation) there was nothing "special" scheduled on the ship on the night we were docked in St. Petersburg.

Celebrity knows that many of its passengers take advantage of its overnight in port to see whatever St. Petersburg has to offer and wouldn't schedule anything big for that night. Same goes for the overnight in Copenhagen and the late departure from Warnemunde. On those nights the ship is very quiet and the dining room is half empty.

That being said, there is a show scheduled in the theater every night and a movie playing in the cinema. I'm not sure if Perry Grant plays every night of the cruise.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the info Chepar.

One last question please. We're traveling with two grade school aged children. Was there a decent mix of families with young kids on your cruise?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:29 AM

While I did see some families with younger grade school aged kids (usually on sea day mornings up by the pool), the number of kids on our cruise was way less than on other cruises I've been on. Probably it was a combination of the length of the cruise, destination and cruise line that played into that.

There are various kids programs that are put together by age range and there will be a table at the embarkation port where they will give you information and you can register your kids if you want. We stopped by the table (my daughter was 13 at the time) and they gave us information on their scheduled activities throughout the cruise.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:43 AM

That's great information, thank you. We've done two Disney Cruise's with our children so we don't really mind far fewer kids!
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM

If you're looking for a pretty laid back cruise with great ports, you should really enjoy this one.

I think our sailing was pretty full, but I never felt especially overcrowded at any time on the ship, even during the debarkation on the first morning at St. Petersburg (I'm sure you've heard about what a mess that can be).

My favorite things to do on the ship was 1) sitting on one of the lounge chairs by the pool on sea day mornings (covered with the blankets they leave out) sipping a hot drink and reading a book and 2) going to the lounge by the coffee bar before dinner for some drinks and (complimentary) tapas. There's always some sort of entertainment (string quartet, guitarist, etc.) and it's a nice way to relax pre dinner.