Reload this Page >

Tipping for Rental Car Delivery

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 04:59 PM
rachael

In one port, I am planning on renting a car for the day. I am new to cruising. If a representative from the rental car company delivers the car to me at the pier, should I tip him? If yes, how much do you think is appropriate? Thanks!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:55 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Rachael,<BR><BR>You bring up a good point. I never thought of that.<BR><BR>I imagine, since he is performing a service that you would tip him a couple of dollars but then the price of the rental I'm sure includes the delivery charge and the employee is being paid by the rental company. <BR><BR>But then, why do we tip cab drivers if they are not handling our luggage? Why do we not tip bus drivers? Why did you start this?<BR><BR>Paul

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 08:44 AM
rachael

Sorry! {:

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 09:06 AM
Paul Therault

Only joking Rachael.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:12 PM
rachael

I know! Still, I'm kind of sorry I began thinking about this ....! :}<BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:08 PM
Charlie

Rachael slip the driver a five spot (you can borrow it from Paul)....it will make you all feel better.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:01 AM
rachael

LOL - thanks, Charlie!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:26 AM
Charlie

You're welcome Rachael,whenever there's a doubt,just do it.It won't break the bank and it frees your thoughts for more important day dreams.Have a great first cruise.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:26 AM
Georgiana

No, tipping a shuttle driver isn't necessary. (Tips are appropriate for extra effoet, such as luggage handling, etc.)

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Paul Therault

There you go.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Eric

Rachel<BR>Which port are you planning to drive in?Renting a car in the Caribbean can be frightfully expensive.Sure you cant cab it?? Sounds like you'll be in totally unfamiliar territory.And I'm a skeptic.My vote--dont rent so you dont hav to worry about the tip!!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:25 PM
rachael

Eric, I appreciate your concern. I'm thinking of renting a car in Valdez, Alaska, if this makes a differnce.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Just

Refresh my memory, I haven't been to Alaska for 9 years. But what is there to see in Valdez? Isn't there a short main street with a museum that takes 20 minutes to walk through? What else around there that would warrant renting a car?

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:57 AM
rachael

We would like to drive out to see Worthington Glacier, Thomspon Pass, and hike a bit. This will require a mode of transportation. We can, of course, take a tour, but I think that a car would give us more flexibility.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Charlie

Rachael Valdez is my choice to rent a car on my next trip.The ride out to the glacier and pass is very senic and you also pass some awesome waterfalls just off the roadside. There are lots of great places to hike up by Worthington but be wary of getting up around the glacier to early in the morning as sometimes it's quite foggy.The fog usually lifts before noon.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 02:57 PM
rachael

Charlie, thanks for the heads up, and especially for the tip about time of day to visit Worthington glacier - can't wait!

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Paul Therault

Yes, rent a car for $45 and go east up the Richardson Highway through spectacular Keystone Canyon and Thompson Pass to Worthington (can't get lost). Be sure to bring a jacket since it just may be snowing on the glacier even if it is 80 degrees and sunny in town. Don't bother to go into the town of Valdez. And if you wish to see the old town that was ddestroyed in the earthquake .... it is an open field. There are only 12 giftshops and about 24 buildings.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:05 PM
rachael

I wouldn't have thought of snow, but we'll certainly layer. From reading, I think that the small museum in town might be interesting, but only if extra time. Thanks, Paul. I always watch for your very helpful posts.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Paul Therault

There is a museum in town ..... now you tell me. I was so disappointed driving around that town, I just bought gas and went back to the ship. Oh yes, and gas .... with all that oil up there who would have known I would pay almost $3 a gallon?<BR><BR>Yes, we were surprised to see the snow on Worthington. And us with short sleeves and shorts. We were told later it snows up there quite often. We never got to walk up the side of the glacier. The printed history in the park area is interesting.<BR><BR>Here is another tidbit. When you are driving up the Richardson Highway and you round the curve to enter the canyon you will see a sight that you will never forget. This is why it is far better to rent a car rather than take a bus trip.<BR><BR>Enjoy,<BR><BR>Paul

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:53 PM
rachael

A sight that we'll never forget - hmmm. Now I'm really intrigued!