appropriate tipping for a concierge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2011, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to read about tipping amounts before our departure. There seems to be some variability on what is considered appropriate. I'd prefer to over tip rather than under tip, yet, I read in some places that it simply wasn't done or was minimal. We want to represent American travelers well.

A concierge has been typing us in preparation for our stay at a rental bungalow near MA. I am most concerned about what we should tip him for assistance with tours etc...In one article I read that $5 per activity was good. Do you agree with this? Should we tip after each arrangement or at the final check out?

Thanks.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 07:33 AM

I am not exactly sure what is meant by concierge in this case. It is possible and likely that he is compensated by commissions earned by his referrals. In that sense, he is an agent. If there are additional personal services performed, or if he really has to spend a lot of time tracking down a vendor at a lower price, or repeatedly has to spend his time changing reservations for you, he is probably due a gratuity. In any case, a big thank you with some cash and friendly eye-contact will be welcome. Personally, I would not tip out of a sense of national pride or shame. It's a way of being grateful.

On the other hand, I suspect that he is an onsite manager working for the owner of the rental and expects onsite compensation for his overseeing.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 08:24 AM

Agree with kinkazote. I would wait and see how your trip turns out and how helpful this person has been. Then tip at the end of your stay whatever you think appropriate. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, really, just tip what you want to. Or not.