Search

Tipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping

My husband and I did a carnival cruise about 4 years ago. On one of the last nights there they shut down every place on board to eat except for the main restaraunt. When you enter they are all standing there waiting to shake your hand but they are actually looking for there envelope. I dont mind tipping, but to the ones who made a difference in my holiday on a daily basis. Like the young man who cleaned our room everyday. He did such an amazing job and deserved a tip. We are considering a cruise this year but this really put my husband off. I dont think they should shut everything down on board and force your hand. This made us very uncomforable. Are all cruise lines like this? Any advice for these situations?

Thanks in advance for any postings
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:42 AM

We have friends who have cruised on various lines & complained about being "nickel & dimed" to death with tipping. We're going on our first cruise next week on Holland America. They add $10 pp per day to your ship's account. We will choose to whom we want to tip more based on their performance, but I'm hoping that their tips-added policy should alleviate what you've described.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 12:39 PM

Hmmm. For us Carnival charged $10.00 per person per day and that was it. We did get an envelope for the 2 waiters who served us so well and gave them some extra $ but we had to go to the service desk to get the envelope. There were no envelopes left in our rooms. Also at no time were all but one restaurant open.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:13 PM

2 yrs ago, we booked last minute and could only get late dining.

So we told the maitre d' that we would only eat in the alternate dining places not the main dining room.

5 of the 7 nites, we ate in the Lido buffet. On the last night, after light attendance the rest of the week, you should have seen the crowds ! in the Lido. Our waiter (we tipped every night) told us that every cruise it's like that-people avoiding the tipping.

I'm glad that they now add $10 a day pp - the only thing better would be to pay them enough and elim. tipping.

But that's another cruiseline or two.

If you have a complaint-bring it up right away-don't wait 7 days and stiff the person, that's dirty pool !

Have fun
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:22 PM

There are also all inclusive cruises where the tips are all included in the cruise fare. (they also include most everything that other ships charge for). These cruise lines do charge more up front but I have found such a big difference that I'm happy to pay more upfront and be done with signing checks everytime I turn around. After all is said and done, there's probably not much $$difference in the bottom line.