Norwegian Crown Repo Cruise

May 27th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Norwegian Crown Repo Cruise

We took a 13-night repositioning cruise thru' the Caribbean on NCL's Crown a couple of months ago and found the crew not up to past experiences on Royal Caribbean or even Carnival. In fact, having a soda card apparently came with a scarlet "Plague" burned onto one's forehead, even tho' I tip separately, given a chance. Food was average on a good day - hamburger patties were floated in a stockpot of liquid so that it became my first inedible burger ever! A grutuity of $20 per couple/day was added, and it seemed to me that was reflected in the mediocre to rude service. Did we just have an off cruise? We're easy to please, really, and heard others emit similar grumblings not infrequently. We're wondering how others would rate this ship or the line, itself, and would like to know your opinions on the auto-tipping idea.
May 28th, 2005, 10:33 AM

I ALWAYS take the AUTO TIP off my bill with the purser when I get on the ship..
I hate to tip for bad service and I overtip for good service...

I hate this added tip thing--IF the cruise lines want to do this, they ought to just raise the rates and say NO TIPPING...Imagine the service we would get then...

I have talked to a lot of the crew,esp. in the 2 recent Princess cruises and this automatic tipping is NOT what it seems...when you tip for dining normally- you tip your waiter and busboy unless you used the wine steward..NOW the automatic tipping is divided between the busboy,waiter,wine steward and maitre d'---some of which I owe nothing to and some of these added people make MORE than the waiters and do less..

Really irks me..but I keep sticking to my guns and tip direct to each individual that gave me good service..
May 29th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Hi Andy,
I agree with your thoughts on tipping. I didn't know it was possible to take the auto tip off of the bill though. Does one need simply to ask at the purser's desk to have this charge removed? Will all cruise lines honor such a request without a lot of argument?
Thanks,
JimT99
May 29th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Hi Jim-

Yes, ALL the cruise lines will honor this...All you need to do is go to the purser's desk a few days before the end of the cruise and have it removed..
The pursers desk will give you envelopes ( like the old fashioned days) and let you tip appropriately.

In addition, most people don't know that those additional charge restaurants INCLUDE the tip..We didn't know and asked this past cruise...
May 29th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Very usefull information. Thank You Andy.