Best snorkeling side trip on St. Thomas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on the Celebrity Millenium on the 3/30 sailing and want to snorkel. Should we do it in St. Thomas & where is the best place? Should we take a tour or go on our own? Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Snorkeling is better in St John. Choose either the ferry from Red Hook (15 min cab ride, 15 min ferry) or Charlotte Amalie (close to port, 45 min ferry)<BR>If it's your first time, you might enjoy Trunk Bay. It has an &quot;underwater snorkeling trail&quot;. Bring some cheez whiz to feed fishies, they'll swarm! You can do this trip easily on your own...if you take the ship's excursion you'll pay more and you'll have to leave when they say so. We took an early ferry and had time to spend shopping a bit in Cruz Bay before returning.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info - do you know how much the taxi ride should be? We were wondering if we would have time to snorkel and shop. We get in at 7 AM and don't leave until 6 PM. Thanks again!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:03 PM

What other islands are you sailing to? I can give you other snorkeling recommendations.<BR><BR>If you arrive at 7 am you can take a taxi to Red Hook and catch the 7:30 ferry. The Charlotte Amalie ferry does not leave until 9:00 am. Taxi to Red Hook should be about $8.00 per person ($16 for a couple), ferry will be $3/person one way, $5/person from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay, $4/person entrance fee to Trunk Bay. If you stay from about 8 in the morning till about 12 or 1 pm, you should be back in Charlotte Amalie by 2pm which will give you 4.5 hours to shop, which is usually plenty of time. Enjoy!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 12:43 PM

St. John's Trunk Bay is an excellent place to snorkel to see beautiful fish and a coral reef or just to enjoy relaxing on the beach. You can do this on your own, or if you are not comfortable with that, you can book your srore excursion through the ship. You should still have plenty of time to brouse around town in the afternoon. Also the harbor at Charlotte Amalia is very picturesque. Make sure you get some photos looking off the top deck of the ship, but buy your film and underwater cameras before you leave home. I usually get my underwater cameras at Wal-Mart,as they are less than $9.00 each.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 07:47 PM

Oooopps! I meant about 3.5 hours to shop in my above post. If the ship leaves at 6, that usually means you need to be back on the ship by 5:30.