Search

St. Thomas advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Thomas advice

We (my boyfriend, his 2 teenage boys and I) are leaving Friday for St. Thomas for 6 nights. Our first time there. We are staying at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef. I would love some of y'alls suggestions for "must see", "must eat" and "must do".

Worst case I will enjoy a relaxing day at the spa or drinking little umbrella drinks on the beach while the boys are scuba diving.

So fire away with the suggestions and ideas...
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:31 AM

my best suggestion would be to spend a family day at coral world/coki beach. here's a link: http://www.coralworldvi.com/coki-beach.shtml
across the street from havensight mall is a tram ride. great view from the top.
you might be able to go on the scuba boat to snorkel when 'the boys' dive. a nice, safe and wonderful place to hang when they dive might be the beach at secret harbour. great walk in snorkeling, cool beach bar and good restaurant - the blue moon.
magens beach is nice if you go first thing in the am and leave by 11-12.
havana blue at your hotel is imho the best dining experience on the island.
the spa at the ritz is supposed to be very deluxe.
and if you shop charlotte amalie is loads of duty free fun.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM

Chris Sawyer is highly recommended and if the boys are divers, his dive at the Rhone comes highly recommended. You'll want to rent a vehicle since taxi fares are per person and am sure you'll want to be out and about. Might also want to spend a day on St. John exploring their great beaches and the Nat'l Park and even plan a daytrip to the BVI's either by ferry or charter. Check with your car rental co to see if it can be taken on the ferry to STJ - if you want to do that. For Jost you can go by sail, stop at White Bay or maybe Sandy Spit for snorkeling - but there are also lots of other good spots, the Indians, the Cave but if it's the Baths's on Virgin Gorda you have to go by powerboat or ferry. If you decide VG, either Devil's Bay or Spring Bay provides the same scenery but fewer people!
Italian eating recommendation is Tony Romano's in Smith Bay (not inexpensive) and Blue Moon Cafe at Secret Harbour (also a great beach for snorkeling) is very good (out on East End). They also do a nite snorkel. Local cuisine is Cuzzins on Back Street in Charlotte Amalie. Malfolie has been getting good reviews with great views of the harbour and town and Robert's at the Elsyian out on East End (just follow the road past Secret Harbour) is also getting lots of kudos. If you want to do the tram to Paradise Point, check to see if it is free if you go to their Happy Hour - used to be Thursdays if I remember correctly!
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:56 AM

I heartily recommend a day sail to St. John with the Winifred:
http://www.sailwinifred.com/
It is a very relaxing sail with some great snorkeling. Even if you've never snorkeled before, Capt Sharon will make you feel safe and secure.
For dinner , I recommend Roberts restaurant at the Elysian (next to Secret Harbor)
Be careful around the iguanas if you are wearing red they are attracted to that color. They won't bite but I had one jump on me when I was in a lounge chair because I was hlding a can of Coke.!
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

WOW! Thanks for the great recommendations...keep 'em coming.

I will make a note and not pack anything red, don't normally wear it anyway because it clashes with my red hair...perhaps I should wear a hat?