St petersburg on splendor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far is the place where the Carnival splendor will dock to the Hermitage or other main areas? Is there public transport that we can take fromthe dock to there and how expensive is it?
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM

It's a long way from the center. I think you have to take a cab. The cruise ships run tours into town but you get no free time. We found a river cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow much more enjoyable and rewarding. You are docked close and can walk around, take the metro and you have more free time. On the cruise ship, it takes forever to get into the dock and you don't actually have that much time in port. I think it would be difficult to do it on your own without using their tours.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Having done Baltic cruise two years ago, would strongly recommend NOT going any other way for St. P excursions except booked thru the ship. While the top sights are some way from the port, we had someone on our boat being mugged by his cabbie; our travel agent strongly advised on this point only; the city is economically so fragile; traffic is awful, the cars not in good shape, numerous break-downs all over, plus the passport/visa issue upon arrival is too tenuous to deal with on one's own. Do not try and deal with it. Pick the excursions you want, you will get some free time, and be with an educated and entertaining guide with your fellow travelers. Do not miss PeterHof, and Catherines Palace, and naturally Hermitage. You can skip the boat cruise and the ballet if you must choose, the day tours are full and long, and that June it was very very hot. Loved that we saw it, but when our ship pulled out on the second night, we four said "God Bless America" continuing to the very different Estonia. Nuf' said.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM

I will be on the Splendor, docking in St. Petersburg from August 24 - 25. My granddaughter and I, plus at least two others will be taking a DenRus tour. There are a number of tour groups operating out of St. Petersburg offering fixed tours or customized tours - private or small group. They are cheaper than the ship's tours with less people. The visas are included. Try DenRus, Alla, and/or Red October for prices.

Lots of people on this forum have taken shore excursions with licensed tour companies out of St. Petersburg. All seem to have been satisfied with their tours.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM

I agree with Trapsma - we were there 2 years in a row and took private tours each time. I highly recommend Alla's tour which we took last time. They are much more flexible than the ship's tours and more affordable (especially when you join others on a forum)