Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cabo, Mazatlan, PV - dolphins, zip line - what else to do?

May 24th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Our family of four (DH and boys ages 13 and 10) are sailing on the Disney Magic June 1 to Cabo, Mazatlan and PV. We are very excited, but I am really behind in making our plans. This is what we have scheduled so far:

Cabo: Swimming with the Dolphins (4:00 p.m.)

PV: Canopy tour (Los Veranos 11:15)

Mazatlan: ?

These are my questions:

1. PV: Could hubby and I do Krystal massages at 3:30 with the canopy tour at 11:15?

2. Mazatlan or Cabo: one of these days, I would like to do a catamaran snorkeling trip. Any recommendations? We would prefer not to be on a boat with a hundred people, but a smaller boat with a dozen or so people - does this exist? If so, through what company?

3. Also, on one of these days, I would like to do a beach day - nice area that has access to banana boats, wave runners, etc. (with restroom facilities).

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance you can give us. Fodors is the best!
May 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Hi KimiG -

My kids and I went on a Mexican Riviera cruise last month. My kids are 16 and 13... hubby didn't go this time. My kids had a great time in the ports.

For Cabo we did parasailing and rented wave runners. The dolphin swim sounds fun. I'd recommend Cabo as the best place, in my opinion, to do the catamaran snorkeling trip. There's a nice beach there too (Medano Beach).

For PV we also did Los Veranos... the best port activity of the cruise... absolutely FABULOUS! Your schedule looks a little tight, but it may be doable. I'd call them and see... I think they say to allow 4 hours minimum?? Are you getting to their office @ 11:15?

Our tour was @ 11 (office arrival time). The bus ride took quite a while (45 min. at least I think... but I wasn't timing it) due to road construction. After ziplining we stayed for lunch @ the onsite restaurant and my 13 year old son spent a good amount of time swimming in the river there. They have a slide and jump off area and he was having so much fun we ended up staying for awhile. We also went in the (spider or squirrel... can't recall) monkey cage there. My kids loved that! They give you these bamboo tube looking containers with food and the monkeys jump from person to person sitting on shoulders and eating the food. We left Los Veranos around 5:20 on the bus back to PV... you certainly don't have to stay as long as we did, however.

For Mazatlan, we did Randi's Happy Horses over on Stone Island. Then we ate lunch @ Victor's (where Randi takes everyone for the afternoon) and my kids rented ATVs on the beach.

http://www.randishappyhorses.com

It was a fun trip. Let me know if you have other questions.

Carole
May 24th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Dear Carole:

Thank you so much for your response. Los Veranos sounds like a great place! In Cabo, did you prearrange activities or just walk to a location? Thanks again!
May 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Hi KimiG - For Cabo we went with CaboRey for parasailing.

http://www.caboreyparasailing.com/

They are located right where the tender boats come in (in fact they are so close, at first we passed them up walking with the crowd of people leaving the ship!). I had communicated with them via email in advance but didn't end up setting up an advance reservation.

For the wave runners we just found someone in the marina... but you might want to set up a reservation when you get there. We didn't do it until after lunch and we were lucky to get one (my kids rode together... I didn't ride).

We ate at a really good restaurant that I had read about prior to our trip... Mi Casa. It was very good (but the prices were like USA prices).

Carole
May 28th, 2008, 09:00 AM

In Cabo San Lucas, you might enjoy a day trip on one of the America's Cup boats, $125 a person if you make your own arrangements. They are located in the same marina that your tender will leave you at, (two right turns to the office at the Dolphin Encounter pool).

The trip is three hours, beverages included, and adults are encouraged to take a turn at the wheel.

The two boats are NZ 85 and NZ 86, with minor modifications for passengers.
Jun 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM

as cawhite said, Medano Beach is a great spot for renting banana boats, wave runners, and arranging parasailing. There are restaurants like the Office and the Mango Deck where you can get a table on the beach and arrange for these activities a few feet away.
We did the zipline tour in PV and LOVED it! There were 12 of us (oldest 67, youngest 13); the only problem we encountered was one member of our party is 4'10" and she had trouble landing on the platforms~her feet didn't reach!