Search

Los Cabos With Kids - Safe?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Cabos With Kids - Safe?

Haven't been there in 12 years, and given recent violent history of Mexico, I am wondering about the safety issue of traveling to Los Cabos with kids.

I understand that the violence has been largely concentrated in areas quite away from Los Cabos, and mostly on bordertowns, but still I wonder.

Any recos for great kids all-inclusives?
thanks
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Flying into Cabo is percetly safe imo. It has never been part of any of the things you hear in the news (like drug cartels, politics, boarder towns).

When I saw kids & safety & Cabo... I thought 1st about the ocean. It's not swimmable in most locations. Rough and dangerous. If your kids swimming in the ocean is important you'll want to stay on Medano Beach in downtown Cabo. Or at least check with your resort on ocean conditions (I think the Hilton has a swimmable beach??)

All-inclusives aren't that big in the Los Cabos in the area. I don't know of any that are particularly aimed at families.

Have you thought of Cancun or the Mayan Riviera, maybe Puerto Vallarta instead? I think for family-friendly A-I, Cabo would not be my first thought (nothing to do with safety reasons).
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 07:01 AM

Cabo is best known for fishing & drinking, not for kids vacation spot.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 07:02 AM

PS For kids new to Mexico you can not beat Puerto Vallarta.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 09:22 AM

How old are the kids?
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:49 PM

We took our kids then 4,5 and 7 and had a great time. As has been said the water isn't safe for swimming but the pools are just fine. We had no qualms about having them with us and have been back several times.... plan on again in May. We have a timeshare so we may have a different view than most. We are in Cabo and walk to town daily and haven't felt unsafe.

I say go and have fun... just use caution as you would at home.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:59 PM

We have a time-share in Cabo, and see children all the time there. If you want a place where they could have a nice beach, access to the activities, and close good food, I would go with Pueblo Bonito Rose. Medano beach is right there, places to rent seadoo/wave-runners, and there are several good places to eat within a short walk down the beach if you don't want to eat at the hotel. The water is much safer there than the Pacific side, and it is a bit warmer also. One word of caution. Make sure the wave-runner folks don't take a copy of your card. They used ours to buy stuff in California while we were enjoying the waves! Call your card company to make sure they know what you are doing otherwise. You will be better protected that way. As for safety, you are as safe or safer there as any US town. I feel very safe there! Take pepto just in case, but I've never had a problem with the water there, and I drink it from the tap. Our kids are in their 20's now, but still love going along when their schedules permit.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 01:06 AM

I stayed at the Barcelo All-Inclusive Hotel in San Jose Los Cabos and it definitely felt very safe. When we went on excursions into Cabo San Lucas, we did feel a little uneasy at times. I definitely think San Jose Los Cabos is more family friendly and the walk into town was not too bad. Food was awesome and there was also a seperate kids area in the hotel. I ended up proposing on the beach. I made a website for others to share their engagement experience as well - www.perfectengagementstory.com
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 06:35 AM

Well I stayed in Cabo San Lucas, in a regular Mexican hotel right downtown, and as a solo woman and did not feel "uneasy" at any time. Walking around alone all hours of the day and night. Without details of the situation, it's hard to address the experience mentioned above.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 10:07 AM

I started taking my daughter when she was 7, and I didn't feel unsafe. Just use caution around the ocean.....
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM

I guess the feeling of uneasiness came from seeing Mexican soldiers patroling the beach area and at checkpoints. I didn't feel unsafe, but it was my first time in Mexico and I probably wasn't used to it.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 07:20 AM

I was guessing it might be something like that. The military presence makes some 1st timers nervous if you're not used to seeing that. You should feel more safe with them around
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM

Dreams is an AI in Los Cabos that is family friendly with a kids club, etc. The resort offered free shuttles to the downtown area and as Suze says, the beach is beautiful -- but not swimmable.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 02:13 AM

you guessed right suze! So, yeah we had a great time. I have nothing but good things to say about Los Cabos and I would go back in a heartbeat and the Barcelo was a great hotel.

But for the beaches, although many of the beaches are't swimmable, if you are a decent swimmer you can snorkle without a life jacket if you want.