Sitka and Ketchikan Shore Excursions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be taking a cruise to Alaska in a few weeks and I'm working on shore excursions, researching the internet. In Sitka, I'm thinking of taking the 1/2 day trip with Badairka Boats or with Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures, at Camp Coogan Bay. Any information on these choices would be appreciated.
Also, we'll only be in Ketchikan for six hours. Am trying to figure out how to maximize our time. Saxman Totem Park or Totem Blight? Which is more "authentic," interesting? Should we rent a car, rent bikes? Is there a good place to hike?
Thanks.

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Ketchikan is a great town, I personally would not take the Totem Park as there are too many other places to see and do there.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:04 PM

I was in Ketchikan last year and hiked the Connell Lake Trail through the Tongass National Forest. It was great...a relatively easy hike through some wonderful wilderness. Be sure to bring a camera! Start to finish (including a 15 minute transfer from the city each way) was about 3 hours, as I remember.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:49 PM

In Ketchikan we took the Saxman Totem Park tour where we could visit w/ Nathan Jackson (world famous artist & totem carver)and had the totems explained to us. VERY INTERESTING and only took about 1hr. We were on Cruise West but I think Cape Fox tours also has something similar. I agree w/ the other post about the hiking. Have a great time.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 04:50 AM

If you are interested in native culture, these tours are very worthwhile. Sourdough offers a combo tour of both Saxman Village and Totem Bight if that is of interest. There will be many opportunities for picking up these tours at the dock visitor center but if you want the above tour, I would reserve ahead. As for hiking- Deer Mt trail is walkable from town, but not the best in my opinion. Perserverance is excellent but requires a car to Ward Lake, which is worthwhile if interested. I have rented twice from Alaska car rental. Sitka- if of interest, this is area of an accessable puffin rookery, St. Lazaria Island, contact Sitka Secrets??
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions on this and on the US board. I'm finding booking excursions independently less expensive, but finding some of the companies have contracts with the cruise lines so they can't offer independent tours. Have reservations in Juneau through Coastal Helicopters. I believe Budget Queen suggested this on a different website.
Still researching the rest and am appreciating your ideas. Keep 'em coming and thanks!

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

More news. Spoke with Sourdough Tours. They said we won't have trouble booking when we arrive. They discouraged us from the tour of both villages, due to the length and our short time there. Suggested just Saxman. It is much less expensive than through HAL and they take a smaller group.
This flexibility is great news, as we'll be able to hang loose a bit longer before deciding if the kids go with us or on a HAL teen trip in Ketchikan.
Stay tuned!
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 09:10 PM

Have heard good things about the kayaking in Ketchikan....no skill or experience necessary and suitable for all ages.