Silversea-Chile & Argentina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking a cruise on Silversea (Silver Wind) from Valparaiso, Chile to Ushuaia, Argentina from Dec 21-Dec 28. Has anyone taken this cruise or one to a similar area? Looking for any info you can share - about the ship, dress, weather, ports, etc. Thanks!
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:32 AM

Hello,

What a wonderful experience you will have! South America is magical and Silversea is divine.

Silversea is an all inclusive ultra-luxury experience with suites and it has been recently remodeled with the input of their repeat guests. The wonderful thing about Silversea is that they include all of the gratuities and beverages are complimentary. They take a lot of care to create a spacious environment. The service is elegant, but still warm and inviting. The Silver Wind has new furnishings, an enhanced spa, a new wine tasting room and the fitness center and computer centers are larger since the remodel. The dress will be casual elegance, or country club casual.

My best recommendation for Chile is to visit their vineyards and sample the Chilean wine. Chilean wines are gaining in popularity because they are somewhere between dry and fruity.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:17 PM

Expect Alaska inside passage, if you've been there, but unspoiled, wilder and more beautiful and majestic. No sign of habitation. It is a great trip. Expect the weather to be like Pacific northwest - cool. Once you pass Puerto Montt, it becomes pretty cool. Till you get into the fjords, sea could be big, but whether you feel it or not depends on the direction of the wind. The itenary makes a point of minimizing traveling in open sea there, and for a good reason - to avoid sailing in the Raoring Forties. Once you are in sheltered area, sea should be calm. I had a great weather, sunny and calm sea, but from what crew told me I gathered we were pretty lucky. Ushuaia is cold. It is one of the greatest cruises I've done. You'll enjoy it.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:15 AM

I'm not possitive of this but I believe all the Silversea ships are now equiped with WI-FI (cordless) internet connection) for your own laptop.

Your trip sounds wonderful!
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:29 PM

Remember to take your gloves and scarves. Prepare for late fall eary winter weather before the snow, but I tend to get cold easily. Santiago has Southern California climate, warm dry and comfortable if smoggy. Valparaiso is San Francisco weather.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I am from South Louisiana as my name implies, so I am sure it will be COLD to us, not just "cool"! This will by far by my coldest Christmas yet!
Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 11:31 AM

You'll love Silversea! It's the best way to cruise. Don't miss penguines in Ushuaia. We had a marvelous seafood lunch in Puerto Montt within easy walk of the dock. Just ask the staff what to do or where to go for lunch. They always know.