shore excursion

May 24th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

shore excursion

My husband and I are going on the Med. Millenium cruise in July/04. Any shore excursions we should take or avoid?
May 24th, 2004, 06:53 AM

I would avoid all ship excursion and take ones you have researched and can do on your own. This will save you enough money to take another cruise and will give you the flexibility to do the things you want to do and spend the time you need to to enjoy them.

I don't know which med itinerary you have, but if its the western, I can give you some advice.

Peter
May 24th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I agree do as many tours on your own or hire private drivers. one not to miss is the Amalfi Drive and Pompei from Naples by DriveAmalfi at [email protected]
May 25th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Sounds like a commercial. Pompeii is easy enough to get to and back on your own. You can even throw in Sorrento and have a pretty easy day. We chose Capri only because we needed a break from the hectic schedule the days before. I took a 2 hour easy hike thru the woods to the Grande Arche while the ladies were shopping. After that we found a wonderful restaurant built on the side of the mountain overlooking the Marina and spent several hours enjoying lunch. To each their own.

The Amalfi drive can be a little over-rated depending on the traffic. There are days when the traffic barely moves (summer European vacations).

Peter
May 26th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Peter for the info. We're going on an Eastern Med. cruise. What do you think about hiring a private driver for Pompei-- reliable? Assume this is done in advance.

Carol
May 26th, 2004, 06:10 PM

We rented a car for both Pompei and the
amalfi coast on our own when we were on the silverseas. For amalfi,we walked off the ship and into town--where we found a rental sign--no hertz or autoeurope in sight--when we inquired about the scratches on the side of the car--the man replied "oh those are nothing"--we have driven in norway, ireland and czech republic--just about every where--and this was an experience--we were in october so not so much traffic but still a little harrowing --actually finding a parking spot in positano was one of the hardest parts--if you see a garage--or an opening- take it immediately--there is not a round about--

for pompeii--we actually jsut rented a taxi for the day and he was most gracious--he was quite knowledgeable and the taxis have a system where they all know each other--and when you are dropped off--you go to this area and they will notify your driver you are ready and wished to be picked up--they cant jsut wait there as there is not enuf room for all of the cars-but it turned out to be much more time effective than going on an excursion arranged by the ship--then we also managed to make the hydroplane?? to Capri--for a few hours--shopping mecca--if you like to shopp-or just look leave more time than jsut a couple or hours--two years ago great prices--but with the dollar today probably jsut fun shopping for a few items unless u are one of the fortunate few--money is no objectg jan
May 27th, 2004, 07:05 AM

I'm many would disagree, but I would take a train to Pompeii and once there, hire a guide to take me thru. I'd go first thing in the morning to avoid the heat and try to train back to Sorrento for lunch and the hydrofoil back to Naples.

Peter
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:37 PM

We visted Pompeii last year from Positano and took advantage of the audio guide.IMHO Sorrento is the least attractive of the main Amalfi Coast towns. We really enjoyed Positano and are returning to Ravello for two weeks in July. We are using a private driver for our transfers and are renting a car for a few days. We used Salvatore of [email protected] last year and are using him again in July for our transfers from Naples to Ravello.For a day in Naples I would include a visit to Pompeii,a drive along the Amalfi Drice and visits to Ravello,Positano and Amalfi.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:52 AM

Definitely go with a private driver-

We actually rented a car and went down the Amalfi Coast ( in Sept.) and it is hairpin turns similar to Rt 1 in Calif Coast....If you are driving you miss all the scenery -which is breathtaking!

If I did it again, I would hire a driver so I would not miss the scenery--they have wonderful little pull-offs on the highway to take photos-

Positano is wonderful..Sorrento is nice but VERY commercialized....