Search

Seminars at Sea

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 05:44 PM
Jeff

Seminars at Sea

I just came accross an interesting website called seminars at sea (www.seminarsatsea.org) and it's really interesting. If you're a professional this looks like the perfect way to take CE AND cruise at the same time! I was not planning to go away this New Years but I might just change my mind. Has anyone used this yet?

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 05:55 PM
Frank

That sounds really interesting!! I had a look and it looks like it's only Princess but you can basically sail at any time, any of their ships, for any destination and take a seminar! What a fantastic idea. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 03:51 PM
Julie

I was wondering if anyone has used this? It does sound like a wonderful idea... I never get time to do CE comfortably but if I could do it on a cruise of my chosing that would be nice. I have attended live lectures. They're OK but you have to be up so early. I would be interested to know if anyone has tried this service yet?

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 08:41 PM
aaa

My hubs is an MD and we have used International Conferences for their CME seminars- the meetings are held on the ship when the ship is sailing--the one instance they had a meeting on land was in St.Thomas--something about the IRS and making sure 1 meeting was on a US island....<BR><BR>Their cruises are great!--You are seated with people that you have a lot in common with--but you don't take up the entire ship--there are still many people on the ship that are there for a cruise only.<BR><BR>People do this type of cruise for a write off but in this day and age, and the IRS deductions,you really don't save a lot. My hubs got tired of getting up for a 7am meeting (he wanted to sleep a little later since it was vacation) and if you MISS a MEETING you lose those CME credits that you thought you would get...IRS is very picky about this- DO NOT BOOK this type of cruise with the hope of writing it off and then NOT going to the meeting.....it isn't doable-they have staff members who sit at the door and monitor who is there and who isn't and you must sign in at the beginning of each meeting.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 08:43 PM
aaa

Forgot to add-International Conferences uses RCL,Silversea,Crystal and Holland America==ALL first rate cruises on the newest of ships-

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Jason

I visted the seminars at Sea website and what's neat is that you can cruise at any time and not some predetermined time for a "live" lecture. The only place you can get the CD-rom based seminar is on the ship so this is probably OK from an IRS standpoint. I understand that you have to do a "test" and feedback before you get certificate indicating attendance. I also asked them about CE certification and they will probably have that shortly so this sounds really like a great idea... all on Princess though but now that Princess owns RCCL, that means it could also include Princess, RCCL and Celebrity ships!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 11:06 AM
George

This sounds like a good deal to me. I wonder if they have seminars for all professions?

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Jeff

Apparently they do have seminars for physicians and dentists and are developing seminars for lawyers and accountants!