Search

security charges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Donna

security charges

I heard that a cruise line, don't know which one, is started to charge a security fee daily added to your ship account. Has anyone heard of this or know what cruise line. We are booked on NCL Dream in March to S. America, & hope they don't start this extra charge, along with all the other charges.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Paul Therault

I have never heard of a security fee Donna.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Linda

Donna,<BR>I haven't heard of it either, yet. But it's surely coming. All the airports do now. Because there are so many new security measures being taken now. New ID equipment, staff, etc., they have to pay for it somehow and since keeping us safe is the reason for the expense, I'm sure we'll have to be the ones to pay for it. Just as long as it works, I'll give them a few more bucks a day.<BR>Have fun,<BR>Linda

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Kevin

More silly surcharges that hide the real cost. Security is part of the cost of doing business.<BR><BR>What if the local shopping center or grocery store, added 5% to all your purchases for security related expenses, would you mind?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Linda

Kevin,<BR>Yes, just like you, I would mind. But, on the last couple of cruises I took in 2002 I saw new equipment that actually photographed each of the passengers as they came and went from the ship. It's computerized to your ships card. Also, a staff member comparing the photographs to the passengers as they reentered the ship. There is much more staff assigned to this duty. They had more tables set up to inspect each item we brought back on board. Now they even use little sensor wands to sniff out any suspicious material. This was on a RCL ship and a Celebrity ship. I'll admit I'm too trusting sometimes, but not totally gullible. I actually saw evidence of the new equipment and staff allocation. That's the only reason I believe they are spending more in the security area. I don't like it either, but unfortunately it's a fact of our times. <BR>Linda

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:45 AM
xman

So why should you absorb the cost of security that should have been in there in the first place?<BR><BR>Yes it is a fact of our times, but it is the cost of them soing business not the cost of us doing business with them.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:47 AM
jkl

It is the cost of doing business. This isn't something that the passenger should pay for. I have been on ships with those cards, and no one was charged a security charge.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:13 AM
CaribbeanGreen

It's true.<BR><BR>The only line that has done it at all is Royal Olympic, which is barely there to begin with. I knew a man who had to cancel his 14 day RO cruise because they imposed both a per person per day security fee, as well as a FUEL fee, due to the situation in Venezuela. These fees added up to a couple hundred dollars.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:02 AM
pat

Got my tickets from Princess yesterday. While there is no mention of a security fee, they do list a $3 IRS fee and a govt &amp; Air Taxes/fee of $26.94. Is that something new or did I just not notice it before? I am not doing air with princess. I am confused.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Paul Therault

IRS fee? Maybe they have agents on board to do your income tax for you.<BR><BR>Paul