My Lord!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Ash

My Lord!

I am so confused! Been searching about cruises (for a family with children aged 3 &amp; 4). We live in Australia - looking at departure from Sydney (am an island person). I have never been on a cruise before, hubby keen BUT following issues I need advice on:<BR>1. I suffer from motion sickness - will I just be sick the whole time?<BR>2. Which cruise liners depart from Sydney? (prefer to pay more for luxury)<BR>3. Would require a kids club<BR><BR>Pacific Sky sounds expensive and read a few experiences from people saying it was overcrowded, had to wait in long queues (hard with young kids), didn't always get a seat to the shows at night, kids club was at the back where most motion sickness. I honestly have no idea whether I would enjoy the experience, but don't want to judge something I have never tried! Any advice muchly appreciated

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Sally

Even though I didn't care for your title, I did look up cruises for you. In Feb. 2003 I came up with the Mariner, Regal Princess, Prinsendam. Legend of the Seas, SilverSea Cruises. What month did you wish to cruise?

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Ash

Thankyou. Absolutely no religious meaning in title - I was being sarcy....where did you find those cruise liners? We were looking at cruising Nov-Feb.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Sally

Ash--try www.icruise and click on departure point---enter Sydney and the month/year you wish to travel. I have never used the site to book a cruise but use it a lot for info (even menus on board, etc.!!)<BR>P.S. Is sarcy an Australia word?? It wasn't in my dictionary.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:08 AM
pat

Go over to www.cruisecritic.com and read their boards.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Ash

Ooops, sorry, sarcy just short for &quot;sarcastic&quot;. Thank you so much for the websites, will definitely have a look - how about first hand experience in getting on and off the liners? Or when getting dinner etc? Is it long waiting in queues? Also, I know the cabins/suites will be small - is it better to get one located in a particular area to avoid sickness etc? These are things that most websites about cruise liners don't tell you! Thank you all kindly

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:18 AM
goosegirl

I guess Sally is doing Ash a big favor and letting her know it. Who cares if you didn't care for her title? Is that all you have to worry about in your day? She didn't swear or take a deity's name in vain so stop being so anal and stick to the subject matter which is travel.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:37 AM
xx

What do we get to Goose? Hahahaha

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Julia

Hello,<BR><BR>The cruise ships are getting better and better about motion sickness, but if you are extremely sensitive then it never hurts to prepare yourself, just in case. It may take a day or so to get used to the shifting of the ship, but Dramamine has a really good newer non-drowsy formula that has worked well for me. There are also bracelets and little patches that you place behind your ear that some people find very effective. If you do get seasick, it is merely because of a build-up of liquid in your stomach and intestines, and you can eat some crackers or a dinner roll or some toast and the breads soak up the extra liquid. Also, consider a stateroom on a higher deck towards the center of the ship - some people swear that this location lessens the feeling of shifting on the sea.<BR><BR>Check with Princess Cruises or Royal Caribbean Cruises - they are family-friendly with nice children's programs and I am relatively certain that they have departures from Sydney. Both are moderately priced and luxurious.<BR><BR>Have a great trip! Good luck!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Waverley

I think P&amp;O line has cruises from Australia too.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Annie

The laws of physics says LOWER decks NOT upper decks for less swaying. Most cruisers will agree. Stick to the center also will help!!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Paul Therault

Strange how people say they did not get seasick on the lower midship cabins. How would they know, they can not be in two places at once?<BR><BR>When a ship is rolling it does it all over and if you are suseptible to motion sickness you are going to get sick. Of course a ship is not like a ferry boat and very few get queasy. Little chance you will experience a large storm. Mild rolling is the norm in heavy seas.<BR><BR>I do not know about the new non-drowsy dramamine but I do know the patch (Transderm Scop) works great for just about all passengers if they follow the directions on the box carefuly.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Einstein

Obviously, Paul was asleep (too much dramamine????) during physics class!!!!!!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Karen

Paul, have you ever seen a see-saw? The mid -point stays still while the ends move. Kind of like a boat rocking in the ocean. The mid-point is more calm than the ends. <BR><BR>Yes, I do realize it is not the same as a ship in the ocean. But the lower, mid deck areas of the boat are more stable than the ends.<BR><BR>Or think of the Titanic. The end went straight up into the air before heading to the bottom of the Atlantic. The mid ship areas didn't go as far up into the air before sinking. <BR><BR>Yes, I realize I shouldn't mention disasters on this, but I think it was a pretty good way to explain motion.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Paul Therault

There's a difference between pitching and rolling, my friend.<BR>If the ship is doing both you are in real trouble .... hang on to your hat ..... it's a major gale.<BR><BR>Worse thing you can do is stay in your cabin and think about your stomach turning to mush. Do something .... tread mill ..... running .... talking to the slot machines.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Ash

Hi Guys<BR>Gee thanks, it was making me feel sick just reading your replies! (this is meant in good humour I'd like to add as some people get a little upset!!!) I'm definitely thinking the sea sickness will be an issue for me. Haven't had any experiences with the other Q's I asked...so assuming maybe, that most people don't take kids on cruises? Better stick to something solid like an island I think......

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Linda

Ash, (Author Ash, yet. Tennis anyone?)<BR>I'll bet you can find a good cruise for you and the kiddos. I'd highly recommend you contact a local friendly travel agent, that you feel comfortable with. Start with one that caters to high end clients, it costs the same as cut rate dealers. They'll have all the info on your questions.<BR>I sailed that Tasmin Sea a couple of years ago and it does roll and pitch a good bit. Ask your family doctor for the best bet for your family for sea sickness. Don't let that keep you a land lubber! HAL even provides green apples and candied ginger which seemed to help me.<BR>Incidently, I loved visiting your beautiful country and all you friendly folks.<BR>Have fun,<BR>Linda in the USA

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 01:03 AM
Paul Therault

Do not fear cruising Ash. Thousands cruise every week.<BR><BR>My wife always got sick in the back seat of cars, on airplanes and on ships. She took dramamine and slept through the cruise. She now wears the &quot;patch&quot; and never has a hint of motion sickness and we cruised through Drake's Passage.<BR><BR>Paul<BR>