Screwed Up Again?

May 29th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Steven

Screwed Up Again?

Is this true? NCL has one of its ships being detained as a result of faulty sprinkler systems. This has got to tell you something. Even the biggest proponent of cruise lines, Mr. Biased himself P.T. fears this cruise. line.

Everybody constantly defends these cruise lines heart and soul. One little detail. My hotel won't sink, tip over, or run aground if their auto pilot fails. These comapanies are playing with your lives by not maintaining their ships. Don't be so forgiving. This is actually a life or death situation.

May 29th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Susie

Someone else mentioned this but I would like to know what ship and more information. Do you know? I just prefer details as I've seen how some rumors fly and grow on these boards.

May 29th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Gail

The ship is the Norway. Steven, they are maintaining the ship---that's why they won't let it sail until the sprinkler system is fixed. Do you thing a big resort hotel would evacuate if their sprinkler system didn't work?? I doubt anyone would even know about it!

May 29th, 2001, 01:25 PM
mike

I sailed the Norway last week, and, while it was a very enjoyable cruise with great service, food and friendly staff, (superior to our Holland America cruise last year) it certainly is in need of improvements. The Coast Guard came aboard the ship after we docked in Miami and noted numerous safety violations. The ship was detained for a day in Miami while repairs were attempted, however, the entire cruise was eventually scrapped when repairs could not be completed on time. Further information on this problem can be found at cnn.com.

May 29th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Steven

Hi Gail,

Like I said earlier. If a hotel has a fire you can easily evacuate it (most of the time). If you're at sea and the ship catches fire and your sprinkler system doesn't work, where do you go? Think about it. The Coast Guard shut them down. Granted the staff is polite, but "Excuse me sir and madam the ship is on fire would you like an aisle or window seat on the life raft?" is not my idea of well maintained or a fun vacation.

May 29th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Steven

I am just loving this. 100 VIOLATIONS. That is what the Coast Guard found on the Norway. Gail, Hello!!! They aren't maintaining anything obviously. I would stick with Mr. Cruise P.T. and sink this line, before they sink themselves.

May 30th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Katie

Steven, why are you even making comments on this board? This board is for cruisers and people who want to share information. There have been many hotels with faulty sprinkler systems and no, it is not that easy to get out of many hotels. There are far more incidents of people burning to death in hotels than on cruise ships. Even when the Ecstacy caught fire 3 years ago, every one could have been safely evacuated using life boats. The truely scary prospect is a fire on a plane, THEN you have nowhere to go, yet we all still fly.

Nothing is perfect. What is your purpose in posting? Has Norwegian wronged you in some way? I am not a proponent for Norwegian; I have never sailed one of their ships. But you are clearly bashing the people who do sail them and you are bashing all cruisers in general. If we who like cruising and cruise ships are such suckers, why do you bother to post here? Or, is your life situation such that you have nothing more productive to do?

May 30th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Steven

Katie Sorry,

I guess I did come off sounding like I was bashing cruisers. Actually I love ships. I grew up around them all my life, and therefore realize that they are a high maintenance ticket. It requires a great deal of money to keep any ship running properly. I understand this. I also understand that because they are more fallable that there are higher risks involved with safety. This company has constantly snuck by on these kinds of issues that can be important to the well being of human life. Several years ago as a result of their negligence people were seriously injured. I take great offense to anybody that would jeopardize the well being off human life knowingly. If you find this kind of behavior acceptable it puzzles me. Just remember, if one of these companies will save money by doing this others (not saying all) might try this route as well. Is this something you feel comfortable with? Not me! Anyway, if I offended the cruising community I apoligize. And yes, they almost did offend me since I had a trip planned with them that I have now cancelled and went back to my original instincts of a better line.

May 30th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Gail

Gee Katie,
Thanks for coming to my rescue. I can usually fight my own battles, but hadn't been to this board in a few days and didn't realize Steve was coming after me! I was in Puerto Rico one year when there was a fire in a hotel and MANY people died because they couldn't get out. There is no excuse for a hotel, cruise ship, or any other place to allow safety violations to go unattended.

May 31st, 2001, 05:19 AM
Lynn

Gail

Talk about paranoid. I don't think it was anyone's intention to "come after you". All he is pointing out is that it was not a routine maintenance by NCL. They were in serious violation of safety regulations as they have been many a times in the past. As a result of their negligence they have injured a lot of people. The Coast Guard was just making sure that it didn't happen again. You all should be thanking them, instead of worrying about the image of NCL. Don't worry it won't kill you if someone speaks ill of a cruise line. It will kill you if the cruise line thinks ill of you.

May 31st, 2001, 03:14 PM
Gail

Lynn,
Lighten up. You lost your sense of humor. Besides he DID mention me by name in two different postings.

May 31st, 2001, 09:23 PM
fernando

Hey Gail,

He was talking about a cruise line not you. That IS paranoia. Are you the owner? I can understand your worry then. I would be bummed if my cruise line injured over 100 people in under two years because of negligence.

He did not say anything about you. I unfortunately am. The line sucks. face it. They have total disregard for human life. They didn't get cited for poor food or bad entertainment. They were stopped because of safety violations. That is bad in case you didn't know. Also, if you were involved in a fire where people died you of all people should know better. Before I get any more upset I thought you should know I'm a fire inspector.

Jun 1st, 2001, 03:54 AM
Gail

HELLO you people:
Perhaps we need some reading lessons. If you read my post,I stated that,"There is no excuse for a hotel, cruise ship, or any other place to allow safety violations to go unattended." I in NO way defended NCL. I only said in my first post that steps were being taken to rectify the matter. I am NOT a fan of NCL. They are far from my favorite cruise line. The Norway is an old ship that is being retired in Sept. Seems they should have retired her sooner!

Jun 1st, 2001, 05:19 AM
Paul

No, I'm not "the" Paul, just another one. What have I missed that NCL has injured more than a hundred people in less than a year. How? When? I'm not defending.....just want to actually know. I do know about the incident in Alaska a couple of weeks ago.

Jun 1st, 2001, 08:33 AM
Steven

The only reason the were taking steps to rectify the problem is because they were caught. Had the Coast Gurad not done a surprise inspection they would have sailed that ship with all those violations. They had done "Soft Patches" on the problems they were cited for so they cannot claim that they did not know.

Paul T. states somewhere on this web site that one of their ships tipped on its side in and at least 75 people were injured. This was a direct cause of lack of maintenance. I understand that ship was close to brand new.

Gail the context of your message seems to imply that they were looking out for people where in reality they would have kept that ship going until it sank.

Jun 1st, 2001, 08:38 AM
Michael

I will be sailing on the Norway's final voyage just because it's the last chance to sail this classic liner. Otherwise, I would never give NCL a dime of my business. I sailed the Norway once before. They are the WORST in customer service issues; and even though I've never expierenced/noticed a safety problem on the Norway, I would not be surprised, as NCL is as cheap as the day is long!

Jun 1st, 2001, 08:49 AM
Bob

Michael, if you know this line is bad and so is the ship why on earth you go on this ship. Especially the last voyage. I'm sure they have gone all out on spending money to make sure a ship they intend to retire is going to be up to snuff. Do you sky dive? It seems like an awfully big risk.

Jun 1st, 2001, 09:35 PM
Texasriders

That's why Star Cruises is taking the Norway to Asia. Won't have to bother with the Coast Guard and there's no agency over there to monitor the ship. It will continue on it final journey as a rust bucket.

Jun 2nd, 2001, 10:33 AM
greg gallagher

Hey Texasrider,

Yes I'm still around. I prefer to remain a neutral observer and watch the people fight amongst themselves it's more fun.

If I thought RCCL was bad can you imagine the ammo I would have for this cruise line. I didn't like their service or environment, but at least I didn't have to worry about it sinking, toppling over, burning, or god knows what else those boats are like.

For now I'll just watch and chuckle as the church of cruise continues to beat up any new disciples they may have enlisted.