S. Caribbean

Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

S. Caribbean

I am planning to go to Southern Caribbean. Please advice me which cruise I should take. The Destiny has a very good price. I like the RRCL. I like to go to the one more casual. There are Constellation or Dawn Princess also to choose from.

Thank.
Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:11 AM

We took the Destiny So. Carib. in July and loved it. It would probably be the casual one you are looking for. There were 2 formal dinners and the food was excellent, better than what we had the yr. before on RC in the Med. Hopefully they still have the same chef. Overall we preferred CArnival though the shows on RC were decidely better.
Oct 23rd, 2003, 12:43 PM

We took RC last year. We did enjoy ourselves. I just booked today the Constellation. I have never taken Celebrity so I am trying somthing different this year. I got a deal including air from PHL. Couldn't beat the price.I have sailed on Carnival and I would say it probably the best choice for a casual line if that is what you are seeking. Have fun and enjoy which ever you decide upon.
Oct 24th, 2003, 05:03 AM

We have been on Celebrity cruises twice. The food is indescribable!!! Everything about it was great, but the crowd was older and more subdued. We sailed on the Dawn Princess six years ago and loved it, too. Food good, but not as good as Celebrity. Three years ago we were on the Paradise (Carnival) We took our two children that time ages 6 and 10 and again, really enjoyed ourselves. Much more casual, food not quite as fancy, but the kids didn't care and we were happy. Most of the ships are great. Just look for the age group you would like to be around and where you want to go. They pretty much take care of the rest. We are going again in February on Royal Caribbean so I hope we like it, too! Have fun.
Oct 24th, 2003, 07:36 AM

I did the Destiny a couple of years ago and had a very nice time. We're booked on the Dawn 12/14--great rates available. (Balcony cabins for less than $700pp for the week that week--check cruisecompete.com for the best deal).

Aruba is very nice. Guadalupe has a wonderful waterful to visit. Antigua has great beaches. Not as impressed with St. Thomas, though only by comparison. In San Juan, definitely tour the old city and the forts. We actually spent a couple of extra days in Puerto Rico and toured the El Junke rain forest and did a cave tour on the eastern side of the island. While this was nice, there are places I'd rather spend time & vacation $$ besides Puerto Rico.

Cheers!

Oct 24th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. Diann, where did you book the cruise including air? I check from the expedia.com. The air cost me $500.00 per person.
I like the itinernary of Contstellation better. But I am afraid this ship is too formal for us.
Oct 24th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Went on a 7 day Southern from San Juan Dec 2002 on Constellation that was very nice, but I also went on a 10 day Southern from Ft. Lauderdale on Holland's Zaandam and it was fabulous. Great ports on both, but both different. Had balcony statement rooms on both. RCCL has very small cabins, Princess is a nice line also. I have cruised on Carnival and it's not my cup of tea. The trips were great, no complaints, but I prefer a more upscale ship.
Oct 24th, 2003, 11:58 AM

Greenthumb I found the air included on cruisecritic.com go to the bottom and it will show a list of sailings. Eventually it was crucon.com that I ended up in. Then there is a # to call. You say you paid for the air all ready. It is the expensive time to travel to San Juan. (Jan-Feb.)
Oct 24th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

I have not booked the air yet. I am still looking for the less expensive air tickets. I do not know Jan-Feb is more expensive to fly to Pureto Rico. But the cruise ship price is cheaper in these two months.
Oct 25th, 2003, 04:10 AM

Yes it does seem reasonable but that may change according to supply and demand. Where are you flying from? That may make a difference. Good luck.
Oct 26th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

I am flying from Knoxville, TN. I check the Delta Airline on the air ticket which costs around $550 per person. I checked the website at the cruisecritic. The special promotion including air will not included Knoxville, or Atlanta.

Oct 30th, 2003, 08:00 PM

I have done this cruise and enjoyed the S. Carribean. I found the book Cruising the Caribean to be a helpful resource for doing the same things as the ship tours much cheaper in port. Don't rule out priceling for airfare to San Juan if you can go the day before. I got mine through them last year for $199 vs. over $500. Also, San Juan is the one place where airfare is occasionally cheaper with the cruise line than with doing it on your own.
Oct 30th, 2003, 08:04 PM

in St. Thomas, consider taking the Ferry over to St. John and going to St. John's Trunk. This is a beautiful beach with a snorkel trail provided, by the National Park service. The ship tour goes there, but you can safe a lot of money by taking the ferry from in town or Red Hook.