Riverboat Sickness on Rhine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On another river cruise board it has been reported that many Rhine River cruises for the past few months have had a viral infection spread quickly through the passengers. In some cases the Captain quarantined passengers. Apparently this was ongoing for a few months and on many ships - not an isolated incident! My wife & I began our cruise on 8/22 from Amsterdam and about half way through people started coming down sick. It appeared to be an upper respiratory virus that gradually spread to my wife and then to me. Our Doctor referred myself and my wife to the ER where I was diagnosed with pneumonia and wife had bronchitis. We should have gone to the doctor sooner and we actually discussed this option with our Program Director but opted out when the PD informed us that we could be at the local hospital for about 5 hours.

Posters suggested already sick passengers spread the virus after they arrived but I noticed on our boat that the ships crew was short handed - kitchen, wait staff and housekeeping - it appears that this shortage might have been sick crew members. All you need is one sick cook and the virus spreads quickly.

But to now hear that a virus had been spreading on many cruises for a few months is absolutely astounding. Are not there any safeguards in place to protect the passengers? Why not quarantine the boat until it is thoroughly cleaned? Why not notify the future passengers? There needs to be some regulation for this kind of event or the River cruise industry might suffer catastrophic losses from people canceling or just not booking them. This cruise industry needs to police itself and correct this ASAP! Many elderly people take these cruises and to intentionally expose them to a known virus that has been circulating for months is problematic for the industry and the passengers.

I am very upset that nothing was done proactively to protect the future passengers who boarded on an already infected boat. Am I alone in thinking the River Cruise industry needs to do more to protect us passengers?
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 11:03 PM

I'll be taking a similar cruise in a few months. I was unaware of this situation until your posting! What river cruise line did you take, and which boat were you on? Did you already write a letter to the cruise company?
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 02:55 AM

Anytime you have people together in close environments - illness can spread quickly.

For example - I work at a college and I have to tell you that we have tons of students sick right now with upper respitory type illnesses. Students live in dorms, eat together, study together, etc...

This type of situation occurs all the time at senior centers, retirement homes, schools, etc...

I agree - the ship could have done certain things such as notify passengers that others are sick and to have passengers seek medical help as soon as they feel symptoms.

Though once a few people board the ship ill, there is very little to prevent others who come in contact with them from getting ill also. Thus, the problem of norovirus on the large cruise ships. Norovirus is the 2nd most commond illness, next to the common cold. The best thing is for sick people to not board ships/cruises.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

We were on the GCT River Concerto - Great Rivers Cruise. But it appears from other posters that all cruise lines were involved for at least 3 months. The common thread is that all the ships were on the Rhine at one time or another.

Theresa, You are correct in that some passengers should not board an infected ship. But that entails the Cruise Lines notifying future passengers of the problem. As of now they don't do it - so it has become "buyer beware". For most of the older cruisers that means exposing your self to some serious illness!

The River Cruise industry needs to address this problem quickly and effectively. I would have quickly canceled my cruise If i was notified of the viral outbreak.

The cruise line might lose some money short term but they would gain credibility and trust with their future customers.

Just my opinion but I truly believe the Cruise Lines should be more active in notifying and sanitizing.

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 03:48 PM

We did Great Rivers with GCT in August, and Russian Rivers with GCT in July. Neither trip had the virus thing going on. But a friend went near the end of August, and there were lots of passengers sick. Since that same virus is going around here in the USA, I think it is just the time of the year.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 04:07 PM

CaptB - I think the problem is that cruise lines (river or otherwise) don't make it easy to cancel. If someone calls the cruise line with out insurance and asks to cancel due to illness, they will say "sorry, you lose all your money".
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Captb93,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I think you're doing the right thing by bringing attention to these matters, at least on travel boards, to make future passengers aware...

What do you suggest future passengers do in this kind of situation, before/during/after the trip? Also, in hindsight, is there anything you would have done differently?

I have a GCT Rhine River cruise booked later this year -- on the River Concerto too! I will express my concern to GCT before the trip, but not having been on the trip yet I doubt they'll be very receptive. On the other hand, if you and other recent passengers complain -- in writing (email, US mail) -- then maybe these issues will be "documented" and dealt with. (I certainly will do the same if anyone on my ship gets sick!)

I hope you had a speedy recovery after your "vacation."

-ipako
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 09:59 AM

I am sorry to hear about your experience! What an awful way to spend your vacation!

When I travel, I always take several travel sized bottles of hand sanitizer. One of the bottles goes into my carry-on (the rest are in plastic bags in my suitcase) and I LOVE those anti-bacterial handwipes that are in the pouches. I also put in a scented anti-bacterial hand lotion in my carry-on bag.

I really try to keep my hands very clean and it seems to work pretty well. My husband says my hands are clean enough to perform surgery, but I call it peace of mind.

Feel better quickly!
Best Regards,
Julia
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

jpako,

In hindsight I wish that I had called GCT. But do you honestly believe they would admit to a viral outbreak on their ships? I really don't know what the answer is, but I think that this post is a good first start.

Is anyone from the river cruise industry monitoring this discussion? Do you have any suggestions for us. I think some of us need assurance that the industry is on top of this.

By the way, the Concerto is a great ship and the crew were excellent - great camaraderie! Weather permitting, you will have a great trip.