Search

cruise virus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise virus

just wondering if anyone has been successful getting compensation from a cruise line for getting the cruise virus
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 02:44 AM

I sincerely doubt it! There is NO such thing as a cruise virus! There is a virus people get wherever they are NOT because they are on a cruise ship! A cruise ship IS NOT responsible for creating and giving passengers a virus!They brought the virus on board with them or caught it from someone else who did.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:22 AM

Hold on Bonnie. There are no absolutes. Cruise ships can be responsible for spreading viruses. Its not beyond the realm of possibility. Causes include substandard sanitation, especially inre to food handling. Viruses are spread by humans so its also possible they could be spread by the ships crew as well. All it takes is one unguarded moment. It not always the case that a passenger does the dirty deed. That being said I doubt a cruise line would provide compensation for viral illness caought while on board unless it bacame widespread to many passengers and generated publicity as such. They may under those circumstances and I stress "may." As sanitation is so important to a cruise line practically all cruise companies take measures to insure spot on cleanliness to minimize such occurences.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:20 AM

If you take travel insurance and get sick enough to not enjoy the whole cruise you might be able to make a claim through them. But I doubt the cruise line will compensate.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:10 AM

The cruise virus - is also known as the stomach flu which people can get wherever.

Most cases of norovirus are brought in my passengers themselves and spread it to other passengers - thus, the cruise line is not responsible for the illness. IF you have cruise insurance, I would file a claim there.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:52 AM

Here is a link to CDC info about norovirus.
http://0-www.cdc.gov.mill1.sjlibrary...odhandlers.htm
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks 4 everyones input
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 10:59 PM

Bonniejns

I strongly disagree with you. I just came back from a 10/1 sailing and actually was put into hospital 4 days over the illness.

I think once you experience you'll understand. I have been on atleast 10 cruises and this was my 1st bad experience. Oh and by the way...there were MANY sick aboard this ship!!! There were 3 in my group alone and we were all from different cities!
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 11:07 PM

ovrdej2

Curious if you were on same cruise as me? Which were you on?
Thanks
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Catching a virus is due to poor hygiene. If you fail to use hand sanitizer in the buffet or wash your hands after using the bathroom it is your fault not the cruiselines.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 01:35 PM

My friend cruised to Alaska, not sure which ship, she said an employee was standing at the entrance to each restaurant making sure people use hand sanitizer before walking in.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 01:58 PM

The spinach problem recently was not due to poor hand hygiene. What if some of that contaminated food got into a ships food pantry and then into its passengers? Would you blame them? Poor hand hygiene is only one way illness can spread but not the only way. If proper hand hygiene was all it took to prevent a virus from spreading we could lick the problem easily.
On our recent cruise on the Tahitian Princess there were at times but not always employees dispensing hand sanitizer solution to diners at the buffet line. At all times sanitezer solutions were present.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM

While good personal hygiene can greatly reduce the chance of catching the "cruise (Norwalk) virus", it can not eliminate it. Touching a serving spoon, salt shaker, even counter that has become infected and then eating with your hands - a roll, sandwich, chips - could transfer virus to your mouth.