Rhodes, Corfu, Crete, Dubrovnik & Athens tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a cruise on Oceania departing Istanbul on 9/9 and ending in Athens. We really aren't fans of large tour groups. I have booked private tours in Istanbul and Kusadasi with Ekol. Plan to do many other island stops on our own. Maybe you can help with some questions regarding the above islands. I would like to see Lindos while we are on Rhodes (8 a.m. - 6 p.m.). Is that something we can do on our own or would the ships tour be the best? In Corfu we are planning on spending the day on our own in town (8 a.m. - 6 p.m.). However, I thought it might be nice to see the Achellion Palace. It doesn't look far from town. Would we be able to get a taxi there and back? We would like to tour Dubrovnik on our own and also see Cavat (8 a.m. - 6 p.m.). Again, is the ships tour the best/only way? I need to do more research on Crete (8 a.m. - 6.p.m.) Any thought on what not to miss and how to see it? Finally, Athens. Does anybody have a recommendation of a private tour company that could meet us at the ship? We were hoping to book with Ekol but they only do large groups from hotels in the city. This wouldn't be much more pleasurable than a ship tour and more hassle to meet up with them. Any thoughts would be great. Also, I would like to see Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseiden. I'm thinking of doing one very long day to see all this. However, we are spending two extra nights at the Westin on the Astin Palace Beach just to relax. I'm not sure if we could easily get to Cape Sounion from there. Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for taking time to help!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM

I hope you like Oceania as much as we do--you'll be very happy cruisers.

In Athens, we used Spiros from www.athenstaxi.net to pick us up at the ship, take us on a half day tour of Athens, and drop us at our hotel--it was a wonderful day, and I recommend him highly.

If you go to the Ports of Call section of the Boards at www.cruisecritic.com, you will find lots of information about your stops. We were in Corfu, Rhodes, and Dubrovnik, but spent the entire day in the cities doing self-guided historical walking tours, so can't offer any advice on the other places you want to see in each of those ports.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 10:29 AM

I would like to see Lindos while we are on Rhodes (8 a.m. - 6 p.m.). Is that something we can do on our own or would the ships tour be the best?
It is quite easy to get a taxi to take you there, and then you could spend the after need walking within the walls and back to ship.
In Corfu we are planning on spending the day on our own in town (8 a.m. - 6 p.m.). However, I thought it might be nice to see the Achellion Palace. It doesn't look far from town. Would we be able to get a taxi there and back?
Yes not a problem
We would like to tour Dubrovnik on our own and also see Cavat (8 a.m. - 6 p.m.). Again, is the ships tour the best/only way?
You can walk to town but it’s a hike, best to take bus into town or take ships bus to town and then stroll back. Be sure you climb the walls to get that great view. Lots of shops, restaurants etc.

I'm not sure if we could easily get to Cape Sounion from there. Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for taking time to help!
Hire a driver it will cost about 250e for the day but worth every penny. It’s not that bad a day because the driver is taking you to just where you want to go. Get on Cruise Critic and you will see there are several companies. Many of the companies are discussed. You can also take a bus there you can get information from your hotel as to connections. In addition to the usual sites, try to get to the museum well worth the time.
Re Ephesus: Have driver drop you at the top of the site and stroll down. Don’t miss the terraced houses very interesting. Best photo of amphitheater is from the path as you exit its set somewhat higher and you get a better clean shot
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Hi trigo - Vouliagmeni is a beautiful location and you'll be very happy there. I assume this will be at the end of your Greek trip, which is what we did. We rented a car and drove to Sounion and other destinations while there. We also felt we'd like another look at the Acropolis and went by taxi.

Spent a full week on Corfu between the Greek landtrip (by bus)and cruise to the islands. Again, we rented a car on Corfu and explored the island. You can easily visit the Old Town on foot, but the countryside was very charming and easy to navigate.

BTW, we stayed in Astir Palace hotels in Athens, Vouliagmeni and Corfu and were very pleased with them. I believe the Athens and Corfu properties have been sold since our visit.

We'll be on the Oceania's Regatta in the Baltic Sept. 5th.
Have a great trip!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Trigo - On Rhodes we did a trip to see the sites of Rhodes and to Lindos in our one day. We used Nicholas of Rhodes Private Tours. Just google the company name as they do have a website.

In Athens we used Paul who did a full Athens tour with us and also took us to the Cape. He was great! [email protected]

And yes, you will like Oceania. We just signed up for our 2nd cruise with them.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! I've been swamped at work but plan on following up later this week. I really appreciate the time you have taken and will respond more later.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Oceania is very good option.I am jealous.We visited only Dubrovnik and had a wonderful tour guide there.His name is Denis and you can contact him via : [email protected]
Have a great cruise
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody! I am going to follow up on your suggestions today.