Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Navigator Of The Seas 7 Night Eastern Mediterranean Cruise

Aug 16th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

We are sailing out of Rome October 30th, 2011. The Ports of call
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Messina (Sicily), Italy; Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey; Chania (Souda), Crete, Greece; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy. I am traveling with my son (25) and my daughter (22) We need help with Excursions, If anyone has been on this cruise I would welcome any information. I will be booking an excursion for Turkey. Will I need to book an excursion for Athens and Crete as well or can we tour and shop on our own?
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:54 AM

It would depend on how long you have in each- I would go for a booked tour in Athens as Pireaus is a distance from Athens so unless you have time to understand public transport, or the will to tackle taxi drivers, and want to see as much as possible .. then tour.
Crete- in Chania you will be closer to shops and the town..
Aug 17th, 2011, 03:44 PM

I can only comment on Athens and Kusadasi. I would strongly recommend some diligent research (on line) and find and book a private tour in these places. It may seem pricey, but most tours are for a car and van, while ships tours are for each. So for 4 $150 tours you can afford to book a $500 private tour. You lose out on "shopping opportunities" and the rug shop hassle, but probably gain several hours of touring or relaxation.
Aug 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM

Do be aware that by Greek law drivers are not allowed to act as tour guides. They can take you to the POI's but can't go any further so you will need a car and a guide which most reputable companies can provide. A frequent poster here, Percy and by chance another poster on cruise critic recommended the same person to me for Athens. I cut a deal with him. It you are interested I can supply his name and email. I did hire both a driver and a guide.
Aug 18th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Also in Kusadasi look into a private tour. Actually private tours are preferable IMHO as they will be less $$ and also less crowded. In Kusadasi look into a tour company named "Hello Ephesus" as they got good reviews and we have booked with them as well. have fun. Larry
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses, Jacketwatch please send the name email address of your guide. Royal Caribbean has a 6 hour walking tour in Ephesus for $60.00US each we have 10-12 hours in each port so hopefully there is time to get a feel of the area. I'll check into the private tours for Greece + Sicily. Thank you again!!
Aug 20th, 2011, 05:37 PM

His name is Dionisis but goes by Dennis.His email is [email protected]. The website is www.toursofathens.com. Pls. mention my name, Larry.