Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Recent travel on Princess line to Baltic area

Jul 24th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Hoping that someone has gone on a Princess Baltic/Russian cruise in the past year. We are considering a cruise in June 2020, and would like recent opinions. The cruise we have reserved leaves from London and arrives 14 days later in Copenhagen. Excited to visit St. Petersburg for 2 days. Were you pleased with the various ports and their sights? Would you recommend this cruise? We are thinking of flying to France for an add on time! Any recent cruisers out there? Thanks
Jul 26th, 2019, 08:16 AM

Not really recent, but still doesn't stop me to say that the Baltic cruise is an excellent choice! There are so many different ports and they all have their own magic.
We did Copenhagen, Oslo, Talinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Warnemunde, and we would go back as many times as we can
Jul 27th, 2019, 06:05 AM

We did this cruise in 2007 but friends of ours cruised there on the Regal or Royal, not sure which, last month. They loved it as did we. It’s a great cruise though port intensive so port days can be very long. However the sights are amazing and SPB is the crown stop. So yes go! June is the best month too because of white nights.
Jul 27th, 2019, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

My thanks!
Jul 29th, 2019, 11:38 AM

My pleasure. Enjoy it. its a great cruise.
Jul 29th, 2019, 09:00 PM

I just returned from a Baltic cruise last week but not with Princess. I know Princess is very popular for the Baltic. I had a few unsatisfactory experiences with Princess years ago and havenít gone back. I have come to like smaller ships over the years and also wanted 3 days in St Petersburg because there is so much to see. I found a great sale on Silversea and was happy with it. Itís an incredible part of the world to see. We had a lecturer on board who told us that in St Petersburg you should see at least one palace, one church & the Hermitage. Then whatever else you have time for, keep adding in. My favorites were the Peterhof gardens, Catherineís palace, Church of the Spilled Blood & St. Isaacís Church. I did not do an evening event and was glad I didnít because I was exhausted from the long touring days, but if I had 2 days in SPB then I would probably do an evening event as well just to have maximum time there.
Aug 3rd, 2019, 04:56 AM

Hi,
We are about to start our first Princess cruise onboard the Regal. Embarking on Aug 6 in Copenhagen... cant wait.
It is also our first time going to the Baltic and oh my, so much to see. I can give you some more info once we come back if you like?
Aug 4th, 2019, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I look forward to hearing about your trip. Enjoy 😊
Aug 7th, 2019, 09:37 AM

BTW many people including some Fodors members have used private Russian tours guides for SPB. By using them or the ships tour your need fora Russian visa is met and from my understanding some of the Russian guides are great. Typically the cost is less, you can tailor your tours better and the number of people they have per vehicle is less too so its worthwhile to look into. Our friends did one day touring and spent one night at the Russian ballet. Just a thought.