re:Transatlantic Cruise

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 10:36 PM
FSUFan

re:Transatlantic Cruise

We flew LAX-ORD-MUN-GOA last month. Loved the itinerary BUT would not recommend Costa Victoria. They are disorganized. Were SO disappointed in the food...never knew so many ways to ruin it! An Italian ship with cappacino only at brkfst and no biscotti for coffee or wine. The buffet food was better than the DR.<BR> This was our 12th cruise, so had some basis for comparison. Late Nov weather was light rain and mid 60's only in Med but a surprising clear and 70's crossing Atlantic, and lovely 80's in Caribbean. Would do the trip again but on other line. PS the 17 days were wonderful to catch up on needed R&amp;R.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Elaine

Thanks for your recap! We hope to do the transatlantic next fall and I've been checking all the ships and itineries and, yes, was considering Costa, too. Yours isn't the first negative report I've seen on Costa food, though, which is a shame! How were the cabins, the service and the entertainment? Of course, food is the biggie on a cruise and being able to enjoy the dining room service is very important!<BR>Hmmm, back to the drawing board! <BR>

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Elaine,<BR><BR>I do not know what FSU's problem was. Sounds to me like he/she went with room service all week. <BR><BR>Costa is a true five star line. the food is great. It is not a steak-house although the beef is prime USDA. <BR><BR>Costa was awarded &quot;Best European Cruise Experience&quot; by Porthole magazine last year, so something is wrong with people that complain about the food, entertainment and service.<BR><BR>And just what does &quot;disorganized&quot; mean?<BR><BR>You are listening to people that eat at McDonalds.<BR><BR>I, along with my family, would sail Costa again in a heartbeat.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 02:47 AM
Elaine

oops, itineraries..(it still doesn't look right!!)<BR><BR>Paul, am putting Costa back on my list for further consideration...Thanks.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:49 AM
goosegirl

FYI, Cappuccino is considered to be a breakfast beverage by Italians. Espresso is served afterward during the day.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 12:33 AM
Paul Therault

Since I do not drink coffee I could not respond previously but I talked to my coffee drinking wife and she stated she always ordered coffee in restaurants and room service. <BR><BR>Since biscotti is favored by Italians and not Americans I imagine if there was a serious call for the biscuits Costa would have them. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me but I never thought biscotti is any big deal.<BR><BR>Seems like LSU had a very bad hair week.<BR><BR>Seriously I can not see Costa having so many reapeat passengers if they had serious problems with their food. The only item that I did not enjoy was the pasta which was not spicy Italian at all. Very bland.<BR>It is offered as an extra course and it is not necessary to order. But then again, some passengers loved it. Again, it just is a matter of taste. If you do not like the Italian sauces and gravies just order without. The menu is written in English and Italian so it is not a problem. People on forums complain about Celebrity and Holland food also. Go figure.<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Peter

Wow, right on queue again, Paul. A negative post on a cruise line you have reported you liked and get those guns blazing again. As you know, I have close relatives that sailed Costa and had the very same comments about the food. All Paul can offer is they must have eaten room service all week! No, Paul - they just didn't like the food. End of story. Leave them alone.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 09:05 AM
JP

You have to realize that Costa is owned by Carnival, and Carnival gives travel agents good commissions. That makes them 5-star (according to travel agents, anyway).

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Elaine

Will tell you what my TA told me when I talked to her yesterday.<BR><BR>They used to recommend and book Costa cruises and then they started hearing complaints about food and service and so they kind of backed off. Of late, she's heard some good things and wouldn't have any qualms about booking with them again.<BR><BR>Doesn't know much about MSC Melody. A cohort once and then one other booking.<BR>No complaints back that she recalls, but she thinks we'd be happier with, say, an RCCL or a Princess repositioning if the itinerary suits us. <BR><BR>Decisions, decisions....