Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

RCL stops at Haiti as scheduled after Quake

Old Jan 19th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RCL's private beach is located at Labadee, Haiti. They have built a massive facility that can accomodate their latest 6000 passenger mega-ship, Oasis of the Sea.

Obviously, the earthquake at Haiti did not affected Labadee as RCL docked ships there as scheduled, only 3 days after the earthquake. Passenegers were unloaded and sipping cocktails at the beach while the devastation is happening elsewhere, not really all that far away.

RCL official position is that they are helping with Haiti's long term recovery by stopping there as scheduled. If you are the one in charge of RCL, would you have done something different? Is it business as usual or would you re-direct the ship to Port au Prince and unload food and water to those in need? If you were a pessenger on the ship, would you have supported such a move?

Below is a link to the video from MSNBC news on the controversy.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/video....a-3f7b6f023718
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Just to make sure that all the facts are presented. RCL has announced that they will donate US$1,000,000 to the Haiti relief effort.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:20 PM

If you think about trying to unload anything at Port au Prince, think again. The news is full of information about the huge bottlenecks in that area. I think RCL did the right thing to stop at Labadee. They did unload pallets of supplies - something like 30 pallets, if I remember correctly. They also talked with some local Haitians who encouraged them to make the stop there. As many people are saying, the tourists unloaded there will put a much-needed injection of cash into the economy. Why punish the people who work at Labadee? As for the tourists who got off the ship and "frolicked," someone wrote that the photo being used was an old one. From what I have read, some people stayed on the ship, the passengers took up a collection and gave it to someone or some organization in Labadee. But passengers who got off the ship, bought some souvenirs and had something to eat -- this can only help.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 02:51 PM

If I was in charge of RCL I would definitely do not change the itinerary as long as it will be safe for passengers.

If I was a guest I would most likely get off shore to buy some tchotchkes - a form of donation in my opinion - and then back on the ship, no tours, no sunbathing. I don't think I would feel like doing anything for fun.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM

I agree with the stop. It does put money into that economy and even though its a terrible tragedy not stopping does nothing. Life has to go on. As a person you have to do your best and for most of us that means contributing to the relief effort as much as you can. JM2C
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:23 AM

I think the guilt trip is misplaced. Yes, spend lots of money buying beautiful art and decorative items from the local vendors, and spend money there. The best way to help Haiti is to keep people employed so they can funnel money to their relatives, who probably have lost their homes in Port-au-Prince. Save the guilt trips for later; honest payment for services is the way to keep the Haitian economy afloat, and it's much more sustainable than charity hand-outs.

Editors aren't really supposed to get into political discussions here in the forums, but I say bravo to RCI for doing this. Not only are they going to great lengths to bring in extra supplies as cargo but they are honoring a longstanding commitment to helping revive the Haitian economy, and that's a good thing no matter how you look at it. I say enjoy the beach, buy the drinks, realize how beautiful a place Haiti is ... and then consider booking a vacation there once the island has started building things back up.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:21 PM

This really ticks me off. I read the "controversy" and it's unfair. RCCL has worked over the years to HELP Haiti. They bring food and supplies ALL THE TIME. They hire workers there. They allow Haitians to dance, play music and sell their wares. Employees of RCCL live there and help the economy. There is no "BIG DOCK" in Haiti, it just accomodates smaller tenders. The ships anchor in the bay. The area has no reefs or fish, so they don't destroy the fauna and flora. I know that RCCL cares VERY MUCH about Haiti and will continue to help the people. I've talked personally to people who live there and they told me how the Haitians love RCCL.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Well, I wanted to spark some discussion on the topic as when I first heard the news, the commentator's comment is that is is very insentivitive for RCL to stop at Haiti.

Well, first, there is the $1,000,000 donattion. Secondly, the stops provide "jobs" and cash infusion for the local economy. hsmithcr hit the nail rioght on the head, why punish the people at Labadee?
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

I guess the discussion is all over the place and not only here. Below is a link to the "editorial" on the cruise critic where many of you also frequent. In their straw poll, 65% is for the return of the ships, 14% on the fence, and the remainder against.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3645
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:42 AM

It's so sad to see just how dumb so many people are. Haiti is suffering so badly, so let's add it to it boycotting one of the few industries she has that produces income?
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 07:13 AM

I just got back from my RCCL Oasis trip. We didn't stop at Labadee, but the CD mentioned the Haitian effort and talked about the RCCL aid. Every statesroom got a copy of the CEO's statement about their efforts to help Haiti and there was a place where they asked for donations. 1 million will be a small part of what they actually raise. Labadee is on the very northernmost tip of Haiti, many miles and mountain ranges from Port-Au-Prince.

They also had a 'Make a Wish" foundation walk on the jogging deck where they raised money for this great cause. I hardly think RCCL can be called anything but a caring company. They employ people from all over the world, many who would have been struggling in their home countries.