Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

On-your-own Port Excursions...What if you miss the ship?

Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Call me a worrier (and maybe the simple answer is: I should stick with those day trips offered by the ship), but I'm wondering if anyone has ever had some untoward experience while they were off on their own for the day.

For instance, another thread here has very interesting and helpful info about skipping the White Pass & Yukon rail tour in Skagway in favor of driving yourself. But just thinking about it, I start wondering...what if the car breaks down? What if you can't make it back to port by the time the ship is scheduled to sail?

Has something like this ever happened to anyone? How'd it turn out?
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:34 PM

I was told that if you "miss the ship" you are responsible to get yourself to the next port (plane, ferry, whatever). You can then complete the remainder of the cruise.

We did our own excursions and allowed plenty of time to return. It went fine.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:25 PM

My DH asked a crew member this question last year while we were on a Celebrity cruise in the Caribbean (and DS and I were on a private excursion at the time). The crew member said that they will call around to the jail and hospital and then they will take off. Up to you to make it to your next port. I did not get the feeling that they wait for you if you are in jail or the hospital!
Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:56 AM

You are responsible for getting back to the ship on time. If you miss it then its up to you to get to the next port so you can get back on the ship. Always carry a credit card off the ship in case you have to fly to the next port! But, if you are on a ship's tour, the ship WILL wait for the tour to get back. When they announce people to contact the purser's office just before the ship is to leave, these are the people who have not gotten back on the ship! We have been cruising for 20 years, more than 40 cruises and always plan on being back on the ship at least an hour, usually two, before sailaway time. Never had a problem & never do ship's tours anymore.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:21 AM

If you miss your ship, you can usually blame yourself for poor planning. Always have a couple hour window before the ship sails. I have driven the Klondike Higway many times all the way up to Whitehorse, you wouldn't be going that far. Well traveled road and with Avis rentals, well maintained cars. If it is too much for you, then go via shuttle bus, plenty of operators.

But understand fully, there won't be ready "help" if something does happen, no AAA, long distances for tow trucks etc. Spotty cell service and Ca roaming charges possible.
Mar 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM

We had a guy this happened to in Tortola. He thought we were going to be there longer than we were. The ship waited a little while, but left without him. We asked a staff member about how this sort of thing was handled and he told us that it was up to the gentlemen to either get himself to our next port of call or, if not feasible, to our homeport.
Mar 24th, 2006, 04:50 PM

They do NOT call hospitals if anyone is missing. That is so funny!! This is a true story. About 10 years ago, a Princess ship left without realizing they left a tour bus, in the south of France. They did realize it (after they sailed), and had to turn around and go back!!

In Haifa, Israel, we watched a family getting to the port 45 min. after the departure. They were able to get on in the middle of the night, using the pilot boat.
Mar 26th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Right. I had NO expectation that the ship would wait, beyond a short - maybe- amount of time. But was curious as to whether anyone had ever had this...Oh S**t! experience.

I mean, if you are halfway up a remote highway and blow a tire on your self-hired car, it does make you wonder...
Mar 26th, 2006, 09:09 PM

LOL - you're absolutely right about that. Is why we wussed out and did excursions through the ship, with the exception of Tortola. I think when we go on another cruise, I may very well do stuff on my own if some of the port calls are to destinations we've been before. I'll just make sure I have my charge card and toothbrush with me when we leave the ship!
Mar 30th, 2006, 02:44 AM

We always made sure we got back to the ship ontime. I did notice that in Naples some people got left behind. I could see the officers pacing back and forth, looking at their watches. I know someone got left in St Maarten on one cruise and the next day was a day at sea and then Aruba. Guess that was a costly stay over.

We suggested that on our "card" to get back on the ship they should post a phone number to call the ship incase of an emergency. Who knows what could happen - get sick, accident or pick pocketed. Sounded like a good suggestion to me.
Mar 31st, 2006, 06:35 PM

It is always fun, when the ship departs each port, to grab a drink about 30 minutes beforehand and stand at the rail and watch the folks absolutely racing to get back on that ship. Many times it is the staff you see arriving the latest!