RCCL, Independence of the Seas, Yea!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No big deal really, since we have been to the Caribbean many times, but spur of the moment a couple of hours ago, we booked for the end of Jan. I hate to be leaving my Granddaughter home, but in spite that, and going to the same places, I am excited and happy. DH and I need a break together and it is once again our anniversary, 51 years. I can't believe it!

Anyway, the ship looks beautiful, plus warm weather, pretty beaches, entertainment, no cooking or cleaning and, best of all, time together.
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 05:52 AM

51 yrs! Amazing and congrats. I met you so hey did you get married when you 15? . You both look so much younger than that. .

I'll bet that will be a lot of fun.

Larry. .
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 09:31 AM

51 years, yea. I loved Independence of the Seas. I loved the ports of Jamaica, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Labadee. I went for New Years 2014. Are you going to those ports?
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Tch912,

I would absolutely love to do a NY cruise! A party, where I would not have to plan or cook or go out into the cold at midnight. Was it as much fun as it looks? A Christmas cruise with music and decorations would be fun too.

What did you like best on the Independence? How was the food? Reviews are so mixed. As long as it is not actually bad, I am OK. What drives me nuts is when something arrives beautifully plated with a creamy or spicy sauce, but whatever is underneath is not properly cooked, especially fish. I prefer things simple rather than dressed to look fancy, but not actually good. I can live with a variety of salads and bread as long as the butter is real and the dressing is not diet, artificial stuff. A little honey works too.

This cruise is for pure relaxation, mostly sea days. We stop in Cozumel and Costa Maya. We have been to Cozumel, but did a beach resort thing with friends then. It was beautiful. We may take some kind of tour this time. Do you have any advice for Cozumel? Have to make some decisions soon, haven't even booked airfare yet.

OK, Larry, we can't meet up again because you would have to stop being so complimentary. I tell my friends I can get myself together enough to look OK for an hour or two. Then my whole model persona just falls apart. LOL.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 06:25 AM

Ah but it's the inner you that's timeless. .
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 02:26 PM

Sassafrass, the New Year party was the great. I am easy to please with food. I ate mainly in the dining room and didn't go to any pay restaurants. It was good, but I found the food better on Norwegian. If I don't go to South Africa this year, I will go on another New Years cruise. I'm not sure what cruise line, just as long as I can go. I have been to both ports and I didn't do any tours. I walked around the area and after a couple of hours I went back to the ship.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 01:07 AM

51 years ... it's been a while. CONGRATULATIONS! Enjoy the trip without the GD ....
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Tch912,
Norwegian has had such mixed food reviews, but we were on Epic 2 years ago and thought the food was the best we had on any cruise. Not exciting, but a variety of really fresh steamed vegetables everyday and very well made salads and soups. There was a thread on Fodors a couple of years back about a guest taking potato salad to a party and the hostess being unhappy because it did not fit with her formal menu. It became a long, very funny thread with opinions on guests who take food, how the hostess should respond, recipes, etc. Potato salad is one of my favorite things, I make a great one, and am super picky about it. I was wowed by the potato salad on the Epic! It was the best I have ever eaten, they had quite good Southern specialties and the Filet Mignon at Cirq at Sea was perfect.

We have lots of plump pets, and if we are late feeding them, we tell them they are not "going flat" yet. If there is edible food on the ship, I doubt I will go flat either.