Question about Helsinki

May 5th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Question about Helsinki

I have seen and read about a fantastic church there carved out of granite called Temppelliankio. Does anyone know how far it is or how to get there from the pier? Thank you.
May 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM

As I recall, we took Tram #3 for a tour around the city, and this was one of the places we got off. I think we walked back into town--but our ship had a shuttle back to the pier.
May 5th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Where did you catch this tram and was it one of those hop on and off deals which go to the major sites?
May 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM

It was public transportation, but drove by many sites of interest to tourists. the desitnations section of this website has lots of information, including this walking tour, among others:
Begin on Mannerheimintie by the equestrian statue of Gustaf Mannerheim, next to the Museum of Contemporary Art (Kiasma). Walk NW on Mannerheimintie, past the red-granite Eduskuntatalo on to the Suomen Kansallismuseo, national museum, on the left. When you leave the museum, cross Mannerheimintie and follow the road a short distance N to the Finlandiatalo, the Alvar Aalto-designed concert and congress hall. Behind the hall is the inlet bay of Töölönlahti. Walk along the well-used paths following the contour of the lake to the Suomen Kansallisooppera, Helsinki's opera house. From here, you can take the lengthy walk to the Seurasaaran Ulkomuseo.

From the opera house, walk SE on Mannerheimintie until you see the white tower of the Olympiastadion on your left. Return to Mannerheimintie, crossing over to Cygnaeuksenkatu; take a left on Nervanderinkatu, where you'll reach the Helsingin Taidehalli, with its fine collection of Finnish art. Go a few steps farther and take the small street directly across from the art hall to the modern Temppeliaukio Kirkko, a church carved into rock outcrops. Cross Runeberginkatu and walk W on Simonkatu to Mechelininkatu. Walk N on Mechelininkatu, and Sibeliusken Puisto will appear on your left. Here you'll find the reason you came: the magnificent Sibelius-Monumentti.

Allow 45 minutes to follow this tour as far as the Temppeliaukio Kirkko, adding half an hour for each museum if you decide to venture inside; from the church, it's a 20-minute walk to the Sibelius Puisto.
May 6th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again for that reply. It does help. Larry
May 6th, 2007, 08:00 PM

We walked from the market at the waterfront. It took about 20-30 minutes, depending on how fast you walk. It was well worth it. I don't remember the streets, and it is not on a major one. However, you can get a city map from the tourist office right next to the market or maybe the cruise ship will provide you one. The ship will likely not dock at this market, but about 10-15 minutes away.
May 7th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Do you think it is advisable to get a cab when we get off to take us to the sights? It seems most of them are w/i walking distance. I think we could walk to that church but our traveling gropup of 5, save for me would prefer to taxi it. However what about the rest? From what I have read the majors attractions are in or near the town square. Thank you.
May 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM

In my opinion, the major sights are NOT all within walking distance of the town square. My wife and I did walk to them all, but we are avid hikers and very few would do this. Here are what I would call the major sights:
Town Square- you could walk there from the ship- it would take perhaps 20 minutes.
Market Area near waterfront- this is about 10 minutes from where our ship docked.
Temppelliankio- a lengthy walk from the ship- perhaps 30 minutes or 20 minutes from town square.
Train Station designed by Saarinen- maybe 10 minutes from town square.
Sibelius Monument- a long walk from downtown-at least 40 minutes and at least 20 minutees from Temppelliankio.
Olympic Stadium- another long walk from downtown- maybe 20-30 minutes.
Museums- between Olympic Stadium and downtown.
If you want to see most of these, and they are all worthwhile, you should either go on a tour or hire a taxi unless you REALLY like to walk.
May 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Very appropriate advice. Thank you. That seems to be the way to go for us. Larry.

Search this Thread