Seeing People Off on a Cruise?

Apr 28th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Seeing People Off on a Cruise?

Hi - our friends are leaving on a Princess cruise to Alaska next Sunday from Seattle. Since we live in Seattle, we thought it would be fun to go down to the pier and "see them off". Years ago I remember actually going onboard the ship as a visitor before friends embarked on a cruise. But given current security measures, I'm sure this isn't possible anymore. Does anyone know if we could at least stand at the dock and wave goodbye? Thanks.
Apr 28th, 2007, 05:56 PM

You are fine up to the check in point.
Apr 29th, 2007, 04:31 AM

While not a cruise expert, have boarded cruises from 3 different cities - in all 3 the cruiser enters a building for pre-cruise security and document checks. After that point, no non-cruiser allowed. Then cruiser goes up a ramp to ship. After that point the cruiser could go to a dockside facing deck and wave, but most lines require cruiser to be one board about an hour prior to leaving dock - so if you want to wave as they sail away, you will have a wait.
Apr 29th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Some luxury lines allow for this but the main stream lines do not.

I do know for a fact that Princess does not allow this. Spend time with your friends and then after you say good by - go ahead and check in.

May 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM

I have had visitors come onboard several times and it was quite easy (though not on Princess). The port authorities require 30 day notice to approve you. You will receive a visitor's pass and must bring this plus your passport (or valid ID). The 30 day notice is a requirement of the port authorities, not the cruise line. This was on Regent so other cruise lines may vary in their visiting policies. It is great fun having visitors and being able to show them around.
May 4th, 2007, 12:56 AM

Don't know which port or line, but our cruise documents on NCL, RCCL and Celebrity specically stated prohibition - no non-cruisers on board.
May 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM

How long ago 333? This practice has not been allowed for a long, long time on the major lines. Perhaps on the specialty lines it is still is.
May 4th, 2007, 10:16 AM

As far as standing at the dock and waving, your view of the ship could easily be obscured by the terminal buildings/warehouse/embarcation building could be between you and the ship. Also, parking is likely to be used up by all the folks leaving on the cruise. Embarcadation day is generally a madhouse - the last place I'd want to be if I weren't actually going to sail on the ship.
May 5th, 2007, 05:46 AM

I had visitors onboard as recently as January 2007. They stayed for pool deck lunch and cocktails then disembarked about 1/2 hour before sailing when announcement was made that all visitors must leave. My TA is the one who obtained the visitor's pass 30 days prior to embarkation. Again, this was NOT on Princess so each line must have their own policy.
May 6th, 2007, 04:58 PM

What cruise line was that?

Bad security...extremely bad security.
Who would allow a non-passenger to have their way around a cruise ship or an airline. This is not 1960, this is 2007.

May 6th, 2007, 05:18 PM

What a lovely gesture to your friends. That is really sweet and I think we need more of that today.
May 7th, 2007, 08:15 AM

No luv2fly, it was not bad security whatsoever. The visiting passengers had to get port authority approval (background check) 30 days ahead of time as I mentioned. They brought their passports which were held during the visit and the visitors picked them up again when they disembarked. The ships that I've had visitors on before were Regent ships (mentioned in original reply). If you want to have visitors check with your TA as cruise lines have different policies.
May 9th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Other than traveler333's explanation of having onboard visitors, this policy of no visitors onboard long predated 9/11. It came about after terrorists took over the Achille Lauro while it was docked in Egypt I believe. A gentleman in a wheelchair (his name escapes me at the moment) was killed by them and the passeners terrorized. It was after that horrible incident that cruiselines stopped allowing precruise parties or friends to come onboard to see passengers off.