Princess or HAL??? Please, help!!

Aug 5th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Princess or HAL??? Please, help!!

I have read a lot of evaluations and ratings, but it's very difficult to make a decision: my wife and I are in the late 40's, will enjoy good food and good service, in a more sophisticated atmosphere. We will NOT be in the mood to pay extras for restaurants and everything: we want to compare the basics, what's included.

Looks like HAL, but I keep listening that ship conditions and service are going down quickly.

Prices are very similar. Can any one help???
Aug 5th, 2003, 01:49 PM

Hi...
Haven't been on HAL so I can't help there.

Sounds like we're the same age and like the same things. We never do the themed restaurants and enjoy traditional dining because we like the service.

We have always been extremely pleased with the service on Princess. We feel that all crew members go way above and beyond the call of duty.
Cabin stewards never have to be asked twice for something, yet you practically never see them..they are very discreet and very efficient!
I've never had any complaints about the quality of the facilities on Princess..everything is always very clean and well kept.

Food tends to be generally very good..keep in mind they can be feeding thousands of folks at a time.
Hot things are always hot, cold things cold. Soups are extremely good on Princess, as well as the pastas.
There is always an excellent variety in the dining room..from vegetarian to meat, poultry, fish etc available every evening.
In my experiences formal nights tend to be very formal, but I think that can depend on the itinerary you're on. Some itineraries seem to be less formal than others.

For all sorts of other opinions check out the www.cruisecritic.com board.

You'll get tons of opinions from there.

Good luck with whatever you choose and happy sailing.
Aug 6th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Fo

We were frequent cruisers up until a couple years ago when we wore out many port options. When we first started, I would have said Princess hands down. Then, after becoming a true Princess fan, they totally let us down on a South Pacific cruise to Tahiti/Hawaii. We have cruised HAL to Europe once and found them to be fabulous--they provided "little" extras that made you feel special. A LOT depends on the ship, it seems, to me, a newer ship sometimes makes the difference. If the ships compare, I would choose HAL over Princess.
Aug 6th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Have to say that the descriptions by Crowsie apply to HAL,also. We like Princess-but-love HAL.

We have been on 13 cruises on 6 lines (we are in our 50's) and prefer the overall excellence of HAL.

We would only go on another if there is a particular port they don't stop.
Aug 7th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the kind support. HAL it is!!!
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:35 AM

One more vote for HAL, just for the HAL of it.
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:21 AM

I just came back from a HAL cruise to Alaska and I was very pleased. The food was excellent as was the service.
Aug 16th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Princess excels in entertainment, activities, lectures, etc. Their ships have more "Wow" factor. HAL has slightly better food and a more intimate feel. Both have premium dining rooms which we did not use. Cruise director staff is much better on Princess. But I would sail either, based on price and destination. Both cruise lines have add on expenses, tips, soft drinks, etc.
Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:43 PM

HAL hands down
Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:39 PM

We have sailed 5 times on Princess and just once on HAl (this summer). We liked both very much, but have to go with HAL as far as the food.