Celebrity or Grand Princess

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help booking for a 12 night Mediterrenean cruise for June 2006. My mom likes dancing and arts and crafts as well as good entertainment at the theatre. Which of the above cruise line would be the best? Also, which is the best for good food
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 04:23 AM

metoo4

I would give Princess the "edge" (slightly) in entertainment, but Celebrity in all the other catagories. You'll also find less passengers and better pax/crew ratio on Celebrity. Celebrity still uses the traditional dining, with choices of early or late seating. Princess uses the personal choice dining, which allows you to choose your dining time and switch tablemates if your choose. Also, you don't have to dress formal if you desire with Princess. After sailing both lines several times, we prefer Celebrity but enjoy Princess too. Good luck.

Regards...Bob
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 03:41 AM

You can still have Traditional dining on Princess... Princess has both open dining and traditional dining.

Princess is better in entertainment and in arts and crafts.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Years ago Princess was always considered a step ahead from nearly all other lines. What happened? From what I read it would seem that concept doesn't hold true anymore. I have been on RC and Celebrity. I was going to try Princess this year but I am having second thoughts. I think I might be dissapointed.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:51 PM

Can't comment about Celebrity but I cruised on the grand last year and may be travelling on the ship again in Feb. The fleet is a bit older, and needed a little refirbishment but could have been dry docked by now. Food was very good. Princess offers dancing and arts and crafts but the shows are some good and some not so good, depending on the ship/itinerary. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM

The one I was looking at is the Golden which is 2001. It seems most people feel the food is great on Princess. I think I will give it a try. Many people speak of the arts and crafts do you mean they are for sale? Or they are for activities as in things to do?
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 01:45 PM

I just sailed on the Golden.

There is ceramics (as an activitiy) on board - sorry I don't remember any other arts and crafts.

The food was good and the ship was in great condition.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 02:18 PM

There is also a blanket making class and another one or two, so sorry I don't remember exactly whet they are but it is sometimes made up according to the ports you will be visiting. Have done the Grand, Golden, and Diamond and the menu is essentially the same on each ship, again the dining room menu will change slightly to add on local regional items.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:45 AM

One thing that happened to Princess is that is now under the Carnival company and that may or may not impact the product. I have no experience on Princess. My wife has and likes the line very much. We both rate Celebrity as one of the best we have been on though. Very classy operation.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:47 PM

I have not had any experience on Celebrity, but have cruised on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Carnival, and Costa. Princess is my favorite of all of those! I'm cruising on the Golden out of San Juan for New Years this year, and can't wait. I've not done the Golden before, but have been on the Regal, the Star and the Caribbean Princess. May I suggest you get a balcony cabin on the Caribe deck., if you opt for a Princess cruise. The balconies are very nice and roomy!

I had personal choice dining on the Star but went back to late seating when I went on the Caribbean, and will hopefully get late seating on Golden on the cruise coming up.

Carol
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Just returned from Sapphire Princess 10/15 cruise. We, personally, would not take Princess again. We thought the food exceptionally mediocre & the production shows run of the mill. From what I've heard since, Celebrity is much better in the food & entertainment fields.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:23 AM

One further thing about Princess. We chose Personal Choice Dining to avoid traditional dining times. BIG MISTAKE. On Sapphire Princess, "Personal Choice" turned out to be "Princesses' Choice," not ours. Even in making advance reservations, we were told we had to dine before 6 or after 8. All attempts we made to dine at other times were to no avail. We ended up eating in the buffet 4 times on a 7 nite cruise. NOT our idea of a cruise experience!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. We took that ship in Aug. to Alaska and had quite a different experience all around. esp. with the food. Up until now all I have read about personal choice dining has been positve with little or no waiting and we thought the shows were well done. Its not Broadway but then again its not supposed to be either. The one night we used personal choice dining there was no waiting though it was a bit late. Better luck next time, I assume on Celebrity. I have a friend who swears by them. He and his wife won't crusie with any other line.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 11:21 AM

We had our best cruise ever last year on the Sapphire Princess. The personal choice dining worked great for us, never had much of a wait. The ship is beautiful and we enjoyed just about everything about the cruise (10 days out of San Francisco to Mexico). I guess that's why there are so many cruise lines, everyone has their own favorites.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Can only comment on Celebrity. We just returned on October 31 from a transatlantic cruise on the Celebrity Galaxy. We had a great cruise and I definitely plan to sail on Celebrity again. However, arts and crafts were limited and the entertainment went from a couple of really good things (one guest speaker was terrific and one show was pretty good) to some average and really poor things:
- the party band, which played everywhere and all the time was usually out of tune
- some of the entertainment, while talented in their fields, were not my idea of a headliner sustaining an entire show (marionettes, xylophone)
- the singers and dancers had one really good show and the others were mediocre

If your criteria was service (truly exception), ship layout and quality food, I would definitely recommend Celebrity.

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM
pat

There seems to be more to do with Princess. I was bored with Celebrity and the food gave me heartburn. Still, I`d go with either again, but Princess would be my first choice.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM

You will pay more for Celebrity. They have jacked up their rates, to be considered an upscale cruiseline. Not as pricey as Crystal or Seabourn, but more than Princess. Also, they will not discount.

We have sailed in Europe on Princess and Celebrity. You might want to consider the size of the ship. I've heard that Golden/Grand are much too large.

The food on Celebrity is better than Princess, particularly the quality of the buffet breakfasts and lunches. Also, Celebrity has Pizza/pasta bar, and a sushi bar.

If money is no object, go on Celebrity. Otherwise, Princess will be just fine.

By the way, on Med. cruise, you will be too busy and tired for activities and entertainment, anyway!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM

You can get Celebrity discounted ( Costco gave me a price about $400.00 for 2 off a Greek islands cruise we have been considering) and I think most cruise lines have pasta/pizza bars. The Sapphire Princess also had sushi as well. BTW this is considered a large ship but honeslty didn't feel large, Good design I think. Cheers, Larry
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:35 PM

I personally have never had problems with personal choice dining on Princess. I have always been seated right away.

I prefer Princess to Celebrity. Our service on Princess has been much friendlier and helpful compared to Celebrity. The food wasn't much better and in fact, I prefer the food on Princess. I also prefer the times of the buffet on Princess. I sailed Celebrity in my 20's and I was bored - there is more to do on Princess.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 07:31 AM

I think it really depends on each individual ship. We sailed on the Grand and Coral Princess and the Coral Princess was far superior to the Grand Princess in food and service. Years ago we sailed on the Celebrity Horizon and the food on that ship was absolutely the best out of all the cruises we've been on. You probably can't go wrong with either one - I would choose the one that offers the best itinerary and price.

Lisey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -