Please remeber to tip!!!

Jan 19th, 2003, 08:11 PM
mai

Please remeber to tip!!!

Hi everyone, I just want to remind those of you who will be on cruises to tip. I know most travel agents tell you this but I can not urge it more. My father is a captain on a cruise line and he told me the stories about tipping. Most of the people who work on the cruise ship, work for very little and rely on tips as their means of survival. Yes, the cabin stewards, waiters, etc get free room and food but their accomidations are 2 people in bunk bed rooms. They make about $75 a month and have families of 3 or more that they need to send money home to. Which is why tipping is so important. If they recieved the tipping that is suggested at the beginning of the cruise, they would make a good living but MANY people dont care, they set the money aside with the intention to tip but spend the money during the cruise and since you tip on your last night, get great service throughout the cruise and screw the employees after. I have even noticed people not going to the dining room the last night to avoid tipping. You are suppose to tip regardless if you eat in the dining room or not. My cabin steward was there for me all the time and gave me anything I needed. Remember, they come to your room twice a day. I actually watched people scream and yell at their stewards. They only suggest 1.50 per night. (I paid 80 to my cabin steward for a 7 day cruise and still felt ashamed)

Jan 19th, 2003, 09:44 PM
ned

Sounds like your father is captain of a slave ship. Shouldn't the employer, not the customer, be responsible for providing a living wage?

Jan 19th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Paul Therault

it is sad that people such as Ned have a mindset. We in the U.S. have all kinds of opportunities and can not understand how others live in foreign countries.

I met a young busboy once that came from a poverty area of Venezuela. He worked his way up to waiter, met a young American gal who worked for the cruiseline as an officer. This fellow was so charming she was attracted to him fairly quickly. After about 8 years they married. They both left cruising and opened a catering business in California and are quite successful.

Granted most of the foreign staff really do not care for the hours and regiment of the cruise industry but are willing to work since the experience is so much better than what they had at home. I, for one, really look up to these young people and think of my ancestors that came over to the land of the free in the same way. If it wasn't for my grandparents I would probably be living in some shack in Italy.

Think about it people.

Paul

Jan 19th, 2003, 11:34 PM
xxx

Put on your glasses Paul.

Seems to me that Ned was being critical of the employer, rather than the people who are working for such low wages.

Jan 20th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Areyou

Sorry but the employees families are not my responsibility - I will tip if I get good service: if I don't I won't tip.

Jan 20th, 2003, 04:25 AM
xxx

I thought it was just automatically added onto your bill? I think cruises are very reasonable. I think they should either up the prices and pay there people more money rather than rely on people and tipping habits. Some folks do not want to tip at all. Regardless of service. Many years ago, I was a waitress while in school. Many times the people who are the most demanding, ask you a million questions, seem to the nicest, are the cheapest. It doesn't matter what kind of service they get, they are just plain cheap. They won't tip adequately no matter what service they receive.

Jan 20th, 2003, 04:26 AM
mai

Ned, you are confused. A slave ship? This is how all cruise lines works. It isnt any different from what waiters and waitresses make at resturants or your bell staff at hotels. They rely on tips. And its about experiences. A lot of theses people come from these islands that you visit where they only rely on tourism. They also take these jobs because they come from these islands that you visit. When you dock, they visit their families.

A ship usually has a staff of OVER 2,000 people depending on the ships. The biggers ones staff over 5,000 You do the math.

Im sure youve been in restuarants where people get great service and dont tip. Its the exact same thing. And just like any wait staff, they know they the way your treat yours customers is how you get paid.

Yes, and if you get bad service, don't tip. Im only talking about the people who will take the good service, then avoid tipping because they just dont want to. Or because they assume these people make a ton of money already.

Jan 20th, 2003, 05:22 AM
curious

Please tell me why this post was started in the first place. Are you an employee begging for tips. I get sick of the hand always being out, and will tip the norm, but don't "remind" people. I don't think they are stupid.

Jan 20th, 2003, 05:33 AM
mai

Obviously you didnt read the entire post. I am not an employee begging for tips. Im just giving information that a travel agent may not. Last I checked, this is what these posts are for giving and asking information.

Give me a break, I bet you had no idea that more than 60% of people dont tip on a cruise ship. I guess that throws your stupidity theory out the window huh. People DO need to be reminded.

Jan 20th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Jude

An interesting thread. I recall a 2 year period when I worked as a waiter while in college. About 10% of customers regularly left no tip, regardless of service or who served them. Another 25% would tip less than 10%, again regardless of service provided. 65% of customers tipped appropriately. I never considered myself a "slave," just a college kid trying to make a living within the system.

Jan 20th, 2003, 06:55 AM
xxx

That was exactly my point a few posts up from yours. I think in my opinion if one has ever relied on tips you are more sensitive to the tipping issue. I worked my way through school. Those who have never worked in a tipping situation, are more likely to not tip in any given situation. Also while this is an interesting thread, this will more than likely not change the fact. They will still not tip no matter what.

Jan 20th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Notreal

Come on folks, don't you recognize a scam when you see one. This is someone trying to bait everyone into another battle over tipping. If her father really is a Captain she would either sail in his cabin or, he would get one provided for her at little or no cost. In either case she would be making the problem worse by not paying for the cruise, thus leaving even less money for the line to pay its staff.

Jan 20th, 2003, 07:18 AM
cd

We tip well for good service. However, this past trip, I had room service deliver coffee each morning at 6:30am, at the end of the trip there was no envelope for room service. How were they compensated? Next time, should I tip each morning?

Jan 20th, 2003, 07:25 AM
mai

My father has been working on the RCCL cruise line for over 10 years and the industry his entire life. He could have his meals served to him in his room and pretty much anything he likes to eat made but he eats with with passengers in the buffet room and to this day tips everytime and everyone.

I have only been one cruise in the last 10 years so I certainly don't take advantage. I dont think I didnt anything different than what a vice president or president of a comapny's family would do. And yes, i actually stayed in a room at little cost but tipped more than you would have paid for the cruise -

These are very hard working people. And my only point in this whole post was to point out the importance of tipping when your on a cruise because some travel agents dont.

I am the same way with my waiters at resturants and any other service I am provided.

Jan 20th, 2003, 07:29 AM
mai

bait?? give me a break...

Jan 20th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Sara

We always tip room service at the time it is delivered. Normally $1 or $2 for coffee and more for a meal.

Jan 20th, 2003, 09:05 AM
curious

Well, since we cruise quite a bit, and always tip, I will not be bothered with your little "pitch". Actually, you kind of remind me of the waiters that start telling you how they are saving their money for someone in their family to have an operation. Too funny!

Jan 20th, 2003, 10:24 AM
xxx

Please tell me why it is my responsibility to pay for someone else who CHOOSES to have x amount of children? I tip accordingly when it is deserved but it is NOT my responsibility to pay for someone else's lifestyle.

Jan 20th, 2003, 11:15 AM
jack

Why not just add a 15% service charge to the total and eliminate tipping altogether? I have no problems with tipping but I just hate to see employees grovelling for tips.

Jan 20th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Don'tforgetto

Oh please. How could anyone "forget" to tip????

On every cruise I've been on, you'd have to be deaf and blind not to know about tipping. It's not like you aren't reminded to tip throughout cruise!

Look, I always tip and tip well, but rest assured, if someone doesn't, it's because they don't want to, not because they "forgot"!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO