Old Jun 12th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please comment on this Alaska Cruise

Please tell me your experiences..

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-c...Details.action
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 08:03 AM

The link doesn't give specifics of the cruise you're asking about, it just goes to the HAL cruisefinder page.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

ok, i will try another link...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-c...ateCode=9_2010

we are looking for Sept. 19, 2011
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Ok, it looks like the standard 7 night Alaska RT cruise out of Seattle. The itinerary includes Glacier Bay so that's a plus. I haven't been on the Oosterdam yet but I met someone on a recent Princess cruise who said the Oosterdam is his favorite ship. The Oosterdam isn't currently sailing out of Seattle however so you might not be able to get first hand experiences of this specific itinerary on that ship for a while--not sure if she will be here next summer or not until 2011.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

nww,
thanks for the info, I will continue to research.
This would be great for us as we live in the Seattle area.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 07:53 AM

I am not sure what you are trying to find out. Holland America has lots of Alaska cruises departing and returning to Seattle. Did you want to do one this summer? The Amsterdam the Westerdam and the Zaamdam are all doing 7 day cruises. Did you particularly want the Oosterdam?
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

We will go in 2011.
I want to know who has done this cruise on this boat and what their experience was.

Thanks
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM

I have done several Alaska cruises with the same itinerary. I didn't do it on the Oosterdam although I have been on that ship on a different itinerary. The ship itself is lovely as are the other Holland America ships I have sailed on. The only problem I found with the Alaska itinerary is don't be surprised at how crowded the ports are. There are usually several large ships in each port so you don't get the feel of what the towns are really like as they are overrun with tourists.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 01:38 PM

At www.cruisecritic.com, there is a Holland America message board--you may have better luck there finding someone who has been on this cruise.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM

A lot can happen in 1 1/2 years. I wouldn't be firm on any choices. The "problem" you have, is the time. You are going during the worse weather potential of the entire season. Average of 3 days of rain, temps 40-50, dusk by 7pm. I've gone in this timeframe, when they used to give these cruises away, the discounts are no longer significant, and it was always the 2nd or 3rd trip of the same year for me, with every earlier trip always superior.

Do your homework, and find out about ports and glaciers. This round trip Seattle sailing also has the worse rough sea potential as well along with the least scenic of Alaska routings. Factor in everything- it is simple and easy to also get to Vancouver from Seattle, which offers a superior routing and much more scenic sailing.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 02:45 AM

I could not find out the specialty of the cruise. I have done seen Alaska cruises with the same itinerary. It is Alaska RT cruise out of Seattle.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

thanks for replies. I am flexible and we can research more before making any decisions.
we could easily go up to Vancouver for better choices.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Hi jetsetj!

For what its worth, of the dozens of cruises weve taken Holland America has been, in our experience, handsdown, the absolute BEST cruiseline. Good choice!

Have a fantastic time!
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

thanks nature girl...
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 04:56 AM

Information is so well drafted that after reading this I feel like moving to the place.
Thanks for sharing your information!
http://www.limousineorlando.com/
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:08 AM

I've been on an Alaskan cruise last year. It was the last trip of the season. My family and I went on Carnival Spirit via Vancouver, B.C. My family and I wanted to do a Gondola ride to a mountain trail in Jueanu and it was sold out. So we went on a city and the Meranthal Glacier tour. It was better because less walking than the other one listed. Skagway we did the Streetcar Tour and Keitchan we saw the Totampoles and the Lumberjack show(my dad hoped it didn't get sold out prior to booking but it got extended due to its popularity and we got in). I think our favorite was the Glacier Inside Passage where everybody on the ship saw the glaciers and the wildlife of Alaska. I heard how HAL does well on these types of trips and a lot recommend it. I saw one at Jueanu and other passengers told us that HAL is another good recommendation for future cruises. My recommendation is to do research on all Alaskan cruises and find which has your needs and cruiseports and airports.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Six in our family did this itinerary last Summer on the H.A. Westerdam. We especially wanted to see Glacier Bay and Sitka. The food was very good, especially in the main dining room. We splurged for 3 verandah suites in a row (2 were connected inside) and were very pleased when we found we could fold back the balcony partitions half-way and have a private balcony 3 cabins long for our family. If I had it to do over, I would've preferred to be on the port side of the ship.We were on navigator deck - up high - and loved it. The back elevator was always much less crowded.
In Juneau some of us took the tram ride (practically lands at the door of the ship), and then cabbed it to the Alaska State Museum; others went rafting. We heard about the whale watching boat ride, and wished we had included that.
The raptor center in Sitka was the highlight of all the shore excursions. Don't miss it.
In Ketchikan I went to the totem pole park, then was dropped off downtown for shopping and walked back to the ship. I would've liked a little more time there. The last night (Victoria) 4 in our group took a shore excursion to the Buchart (spelling?) gardens. Instead of going straight to the gardens, the driver wandered around Victoria and then got them there when it got dark! My brother was not happy about that! My Mom and I stayed on the ship and practically had it to ourselves and loved it!
All in all I loved the trip and the itinerary. I highly recommend that you pay the fee for the express baggage service at the end of the trip. You leave your suitcase out by your cabin the night before and then don't see it again until baggage claim at your home city. No lugging! It worked like a charm. The only minor disappointments were the lack of really great bingo games, as I had enjoyed on Royal Caribbean, and the onboard shopping was not great. We aren't night owls, so I can't comment on the disco or late night entertainment other than the spectacular dessert buffet around the pool one night which was outstanding!
The scenery of Alaska was wonderful. I hope to go again and find an itinerary that includes Skagway. It was a breeze going in and out of Seattle.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM

hello sir,
i like your comment and your discussion of this topic is very awesome topic of teachers because in this era there is most appropriate role for students and carrier is depend on the teachers.
<a href="http://www.flightstosydney.com.au" rel="dofollow" >flights to sydney</a>--flights to sydney
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM

Generally speaking HAL attracts an more mature clientele and is more elegant and understated, at least compared to the fun ships of Carnival and some of the newer RCI ships. Typically they get very good reviews overall. I would add that the best parts of an Alaskan cruise, IMHO are the excursions. They can be pricey but the experiences will last a lifetime. I suggest you look over the excursions carefully and decide on what appeals to you the most. You will be awed by the natural beauty. Have fun. Larry