Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Is a visit to MENDENHALL GLACIER (Juneau) worth it?

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally posted this in America forum. I meant to post it here.

I am looking at excursions at shoretrips.com (It was recommended) and I have an option of a small intimate " WHALE WATCHING ADVENTURE" or I can add $30 and 1.5 hours and do the " COMBO TOUR...WHALE WATCHING AND MENDENHALL GLACIER " I don't know the size of that boat.

I think we will just be at the glacier visitor center, but it might be a good photo op. I don't know.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:33 AM

They wll drop you off by the visitor center. It is only a short walk from the bus drop off. There are photo ops, of course, even in poor weather. They also have a "video" where you can sit through.

There are plenty of walking trails around but it was clsoed when we were there last due to bear sightings.

1.5 hour is not really enough time except a walk to the center, take pictures, look around at the exhibits and souvenir shop and that's it. Unless you are there at the right time, like the start of the video, you probably won't even have time to sit through the video.

$30 is okay. But you can do better by paying less and staying longer. There are public transportation or other mode of transportation available to go from the dock area to Mendenhall.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 02:42 PM

If you haven't already done so I would check out the Cruise Critic website which has a wealth of informaiton about cruising - if you go into Boards and then Alaska you will certainly find answers to anything you can think of!
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

I did visit cruise Critic ... that is where I heard about Shoretrips.com

I didn't make myself clear (just like when I posted on the US board!)That is my fault. I forget people can't hear my thoughts. haha ;-)

Here is the deal:

I am ONLY in Juneau from 7am-3pm It has been my life long dream to do a whale watching tour from Alaska. I am impressed by all the options on Shoretrips BUT I do not know if I should just do the whale watch or if I should go with the combo tour that also takes you for a 90min trip of the glacier. (Also, refreshments are added with this option) From what I understand, you get a Native tour guide.

If I don't do the combo tour, then I won't go to the glacier at all. I don't have time to navigate my way through public transit etc. Yes, it would be ideal if I had more time, but I don't. I also wish I could take a Harv and Marv whale watch, but again I have to be on the ship at 2:30 because they leave at 3pm sharp.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:20 AM

Harv and Marv dropped us off at Mendenhall. You can either stay and take the shuttle back to town/ship or they took us back after about a 1/2 hour stay. If you just want to see Mendenhall and hike around there you have plenty of time.

Definitely go with HArv and Marv on the whale watch IF you can get reservations with them. They book up fast!!

We like to book directly with the vendor and not go thru a third party.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:59 AM

If adding $30 to a previously arranged tour gives you transportation to and from the Mendenhall Glacier, even for 90 minutes, then I would say do it. We were there in June, it was quite spectacular. I think you would regret not seeing it since it appears that it is high on your list - just make sure whoever you make your arrangements with gets you back to that ship on time .
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM

How do I find Harv and Marv?
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM

Whale watching with Harv and Marv is a blast. Even if it is not raining, bring rain slick and wind breaker and something warm. Also have something to cover you camera from the water.

My first trip, I did the combo with a Salmon bake (3 in 1) and it is a whole day affair. My second trip, I did just the whales and wildlife, longer time at sea than what the ship offered as stand alone or combo. That's the beauty of booking outside.

Make sure you do the flight seeing on Misty Fjord. Typical shp offerning is 2 to 3 hours with about 90 minutes of flight time. For same money, you can book trips closer to 150 minutes or more of flight time.

You will find an assortment of Alaska pictures I took on the link below.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570808260xIpXIT