Search

Which Glaciers?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Glaciers?

My husband, I and our four sons are going to Alaska at the end of July on Princess Cruises. We are deciding whether to take a helicopter/glacier walk out of Skagway (to the Valley of the Glaciers) or out of Juneau. Is there a difference or is a glacier a glacier? Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 06:15 PM

I cant comment on which is better but we did the helicopter glacier landing in Skagway and had a great time. I wouldnt say our tour was much of a hike but it was quite beautiful and informative. In Juneau we opted for the whale watching boat trip which was also nice they got us VERY close to the whales. Which ship will you be on?
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Ooops forgot to mention a site I like for cruises that you might find some good information. www.cruisecritic.com
they have some great boards to check out as well! Have fun!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Doesn't matter where, all glaciers are in a constant state of change and unique at the time. Go with who fits your schedule best. For savings, you might want to consider booking direct. Out of Juneau www.coastalhelicopters.com and out of Skagway and Juneau www.temscoair.com
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We're going on the Diamond Princess. I was surprised that there are so many more helicopter tour options out of Juneau rather than Skagway. In fact, if we want to do the dog sledding out of Skagway, we'll have to book directly through Temsco. Princess only offers it out of Juneau. From Skagway, the dog sledding is on a wooden cart, rather than a sled, which I think defeats the whole purpose.