Search

passport help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
passport help

Hello, I've never gotten a passport and don't know where to start. Where do I get one (seems I see something about passports at the postoffice????), what info/documents will I need, cost, how long will it be valid????? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:41 AM
P_M

Here is a web site that should answer most of your questions. You can download and pirnt the application forms, then take that to the post office with 2 identical passport photos. There are many places to have these photos made, I use Kinkos. Just make sure you don't get them from a photo booth, even if the photo booth says it makes passport photos.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/index.html
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:56 AM
P_M

I just thought of something else. Depending on where you live, the smaller branches of the post office might not handle passports. In fact, my mother lives in a very small town where passport applications are taken only once a week at the court house. Make sure and call your nearest post office to find out when and where to go.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the information
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:13 AM

Letscruise: You did not say where you are going to. If its a cruise in the Caribbean and you are a US citizen you probably dont need a passport. The cruise line can tell you what you'll need (certified copy of your birth certificate, etc.) if that's the case.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 12:37 PM

You will need an official birth certificate for the passport to prove your citizenship. That means usually with some sort of raised seal....the BC is essential.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 12:45 PM

BTW local pharmacies have specials on passport sized pictures.. My husband and I ended up with two full sheets not much at a Brooks Pharmacy and you can pick the picture you like.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 12:58 PM
P_M

While it is true that a passport might not be required for your cruise, I still think that getting one is a good idea for the following reasons:

1. When we cruised in May, the disembarkation process for US passport holders was much faster. The US Customs line for non-passport holders was miles long, while the line for US passport holders had maybe 20 people in it. Of course, this only works if everyone in your party holds a US passport, but thank God we all did.

2. A passport serves as a back-up ID. If you ever lose your driver's license, you can carry your passport and use it as ID. Of course, it doesn't serve as a driver's license, but at least you would have some form of valid ID until you can get the license replaced.

3. A passport is good for 10 years. If there's any chance you will travel abroad in the next 10 years, having a passport on hand is one less thing you will have to do to prepare for your trip. Also, what if a loved one of yours becomes sick or injured and needs your help while they are travelling overseas? If you have a passport, you can just get up and go to them. If not, it will be expensive and a greater hassle to expedite one.

Just my opinion, but I think it would be wise to get a passport.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 04:52 PM

Birth certificate with raised seal is a must!!

Your local courthouse/municipal building can assist you with the forms.

Make sure the pictures have a white or cream background. A local pharmacy took digital photos of my wife and they were rejected by the passport office because the background was not the right color and the pixels were too spread out (don't know the exact terminology). We had a slight panic on her renewal, but got it back in time for our trip.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Try your local AAA--they take passport photos and know what they are doing (I think mine was around $8.00)

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I do want a passport for cruises that really just need proof of citizenship such as birth certificate, etc. But it seems having a passport would just make it easier and I didn't know where to start. Thanks again.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:26 PM

American Passport Express is a passport expediting service that will obtain the passport for you, FAST, for an additional fee. The website tells you everything you need step by step and has downloadable forms. You still need a certified birth cert, photo ID, passport photos, etc, and to visit an acceptance agent in person. (I think there's an acceptance agent locator on the website--I went to my local county clerk/recorder's office.) I've used this company twice and they've been great -- and worth the extra expense since I waited till the last minute I agree with the other posters that travelling with a passport is much easier, even in countries where they're not required.