Oceania - South America Cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking hard at the SA cruises, but have to decide by Wed to take advantage of the 2 for 1 and Free Air! So much to find out about in such a short time.

Is anyone on here booked for either of the Jan cruises? I have so many questions to ask other people - NOT Travel Agents at this time.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 04:49 AM

Check out Oceania in CruiseMates, found a gentleman under the Caribbean discussion who has written me that he will be going on the S.A. cruise..the inagural of the Nautica.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:30 PM

We have booked the March cruise from Manaus to Barbados. Don't know any more about them that what I have gleaned from the internet. We also have a booking on the Prinsendam this November but have a conflict, hence looked at Oceania.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 10:58 AM

Just finished the 14 day transatlantic in a penthouse, and please safe your money. Ship is beautiful, staff is terrible. Worst cruise ever. Go to SA on Celebrity.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 11:12 AM
LizFrazier

Manycruiser-
Which ship were you on? Was it Oceania or Prinsendam? If it was on Oceania, would you mind doing a kind of trip report with the pros and cons. Thanks.

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 11:13 AM

Can you please tell us why you did not like this cruise line/ship regarding the crew and whatever else?
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 11:17 PM

I am still in Lisbon until the 6th, but will post a much more lengthy report.

One situation came up with the tours. Very over priced, a man in a wheelchair was taking the same tour we were in Jerez, the bus let us off, and it was all walking. My husband and his wife spent most of their time trying to get him around. When they went to get a refund, they were told NO, and that was it. I could not believe it. There was no information that this tour was not suitable for someone that was in a wheelchair.

Also, four of us met with the general manager about many service issues, and his attitude was exactly that which was reflected by the staff.

The butler was totally useless. Did not even show up for two days. I found this cruise line to be a big disappointment, and we have been on at least 16 ships.

Again, if the staff had been from Celebrity, it would have been great. They just did not get with the concept of service. Constant cold food, mixed up orders, having to ask for more coffee, etc. It was an attitude that I cannot figure out what was the problem, but we did, as many others, take the automatic gratuities off of our bill and tipped the people that did give us good service.

There were many angry passengers.

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:39 AM

Boy this does sound like lousy service!! I can understand your disappointment. Could they have been breaking in a new crew? I've gotten way too spoiled with Radisson cruiseline where "no" just doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary. Sorry to hear of your experience.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 06:31 AM

This sounds very troubling indeded. I have a deposit on Celebrity SA cruise for Feb 2005 but just returned from the Caribbean on the same class ship & have decided it's too big for my taste. I also put a deposit on Oceania's Insignia for January SA based on reports from people on it right now that say the service is wonderful.
Brahmama - what did you decide to do?
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

I have read positive and negative reports, but the majority are positive. So we are planning to go ahead with the Oceania.
Which Jan cruise are you going on?
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:35 PM

January 3 but possibly a few days earlier to do Iguazu. I agree with you that the positive reviews outweigh the negatives & I really like the idea of this size ship without all that comes with 100,000 tons.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Sady, most people do not complain, but also do not return. There are many lovely cruise lines that do South America, I would spend the money elsewhere.

Oceania is not a proven product, and if they do not get their act and attitude together, they will not be around. The ship is leased from the Bank of France, and the staff is untrained.

I just wrote my letter to the company, doubt if it will do any good, but trust me in two weeks I spoke with many well traveled cruisers, and they would not be going on this line again.

Also, I think the TA's are pushing this line. The South America cruise does offer free air, but even at 2 for 1 a Penthouse suite is $5000 each, and you can have better on Celebrity or HAL for less.

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 07:57 AM

We have booked the Feb. 2 Buenos Aires to Rio. Love the ship. This should be a great cruise.