New Year's Cruising for Adults

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three, mid-fifties, adults are wondering if all cruise ships are loaded with young children and teens over the holidays. I've already cruised 3x on HAL, but never over the holidays. I am very much aware that Holland America usually attracts an 'older' cliental, is this the same over New Years?

Another suggestions where the three of us can go and have a relaxing adult 2005?
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Hi - I did a 5 night New Years Singles cruise on the Carnival Imagination last year. We had 300 singles on board. There was a real mix of ages including many families due to school holidays. I'd do it again. My guess is the Celebrity cruise would not have many kids due to the price. I think it is a great way to ring in the New Year
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

To be very honest with you, a Carnival ship full of singles can be worse than a regular cruise chock full of kids. Drunken 20 and 30-somethings - - ECH ! ! ! ! !

Don't mean to be a snob, but we want a classier cruise. Carnival, to me, is at the bottom of the ratings heap. You get what you pay for...right?
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:31 PM
loveopera

If you want cruise without young children over Christmas, the only ones I can thinks of would be the luxuary line such as Seabourn and Silversea. I would think their prices would rule out for most families. I've taken Princess over the holidays, and oh boy, it was full of kids. Impossible to get close to the pool.

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 09:14 PM

We took our family on a Christmas HAL cruise last year, including two children....we saw very few children, they were all taken up with the teen/child programs and were busy. We saw two other children at the dinner table next to us, never saw them other times.......From just that cruise, I would not hesitate to take another HAL holiday cruise because of the number of children, no problem of any kind. I could be wrong, but I believe they announced there were 78 children of all ages on board and the only time we saw possibly up to 20 was the talent show for the kids.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Celebrity Cruises offers "Escape" cruises which do no allow passengers younger than the age of 21 aboard. They are offering a Mexican Riviera 11 day cruise round trip out of San Diego departing December 27th, 2004 and returning January 7th which is one of this year's "Escape" cruises. www.celebrity.com to check it out.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Hi - Actually the singles cruise I went on was late 30's through 60's! It was middle age fun! Also I just came back from a Royal Caribbean cruise and just feel they don't hold a candle to Carnival. That was my one and only Carnival cruise and I thought it was great. Maybe since Princess now owns them some of the "good" has rubbed off;}
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

many thanks to 'carol1217'

We are investigating Celebrity. Many possibilities.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:43 PM

We did a New Years cruise on Celebrity the year before last, and it was great!!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:17 PM

From everything I have read the Celebrity Escape (No children) cruises are wonderful.
Most all lines have children over the holidays. Some turn out bad, others seem to be ok. Hal also attracks families over Holidays. The shorter the cruise, the more children you will see.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 02:27 PM

There are cruise lines that are more adult oriented ALL the time, why not just pick one of those and I'm sure you'll be pleased. They go all out for holidays!

Have you looked at Radisson, Silversea, Seabourn, Crystal (although Crystal probably won't be nearly as good a value as the others, it's not all inclusive). I have friends that spend every New Years on a Radisson ship and they swear by it. One of these years I'd love to spend a major holiday on a ship.