Need help with first (possible) cruise

Mar 6th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Need help with first (possible) cruise

I've decided at the last minute to try to put together a spring break trip, and while I've never seen myself as a cruise person, I'd like to tryone and the prices seem too good to be true. We like fine dining and variety of activities. We live in Yorktown VA. Family of 3-one 13 yo daughter. Where should I start to look, and how easy is it to find one that leaves from Norfolk, Baltimore or somewhere in driving distance of VA?
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Some comments - prices are good for a cruise as they include room and meals. Just remember you have tips (a few hundred dollars) plus any beverage, including soda plus any shore excursions you do.

I just checked on Travelocity using "other search" option under cruises and entered date range of all of April - does not seem to be any cruise leaving mid-Atlantic states that I could find.
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Hi Leonora,
I left you a post about a cruise on your other post. I live in Baltimore and tried the same thing. The best luck I had was out of Galveston, TX. You can fly in and out of houston. There is also a cruise out of New Orleans. I looked at vacationstogo.com. They had the best prices and good selection. I also left you a website for All inclusive deals that are out of DC/Balto area. It's called gonowvacations.com , then go under hotline specials. You really can't beat the prices for a last minute deal. I was looking at reviews for the caves in Jamaica. Did you leave a review? We are headed there in a few weeks. If it was you, please give me some insight as it is our first trip to Jamaica. Good luck with it all. For spring break, I went from all inclusive deals to a cruise to finally heading to hammock beach in FL. I have 3 kids (the youngest being 1), so the cruise became a bit challenging and we had to get 2 rooms for the ai or cruise, so we decided against, but you would be in great shape with just 3. Good luck!
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM

What about getting a cheap air ticket on Southest from BWI to Florida and leaving from there - I know it adds to cost, but you and your daughter might enjoy a cruise for a change.

We are not generally cruise people, but just returned from a 5 night Western Caribbean cruise on Celebrity out of Miami with our 16 year old dtr.

We got a balcony cabin and all 3 of us were able to fit nicely in one cabin - certainly much smaller than a hotel room, but with the balcony, it worked fine.

To give you an idea of on-board extras, our final on-board charge for extras spent on the cruise was about $700, and that included tips which could be charged to credit card. That also included a little bingo, sodas for our daughter and 1-2 drinks each day for husband and me. Our daughter got way too accustomed to ordering room service (she spent days at sea doing homework for school on the balcony), but other than tip/service charge, cost of those snacks was included.

While Celebrity is not usually a line people with kids select, the itinerary of Key West and Grand Cayman was appealing to us and since it was a school vacation week, there were ample teenagers for her to socialize with. The cruise line put us at a table with 4 other teenagers and their parents.
Mar 7th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Florida is a great port to leave from, but the problem is getting reasonable airfare for spring break time this late in the game (why I looked for other options)There is a cruise or 2 out of Jacksonville and Tampa areas. Give it all a try to see where you can get (I found the hardest thing to find was reasonable airfare, so I suggest starting there.
Mar 7th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Note that the one ship leaving from JAX is pretty bad.

Tampa has some better options but none as nice as Port Canaveral or south Florida.