World cruise - Cunard

Apr 11th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

World cruise - Cunard

Hi, we're planning a world cruise in 2009 having really enjoyed our shorter excursions up to now.
Does anyone have any advice as to how much we could expect to spend on board during a 103-108 day cruise? Excluding excursions of course. I've done some figuring out myself, based on free laundry, some dry cleaning, booze, etc. but I'd appreciate the input from someone more experienced.

Many thanks,

Gordon
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Do your cruise on Seabourn or Silversea and you won't have to worry much about on-board expenses (tho dry cleaning is not covered, but just about all liquor/wine and gratuities are).
Apr 15th, 2007, 12:25 AM

Several months ago we too decided we wanted to go on a World Cruise. I looked into quite a few cruise lines and finally decided on Regent. They're all very expensive but with what you get for the $, Regent seemed the best for our needs with the largest standard cabins, all with balconies, all with walk-in closets which is important on such a long voyage and it's all inclusive with tips and liquor. We know a couple that was on Regent world cruise in 2006 and raved about it and they've experienced most all of the cruise lines.
Apr 15th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Lucky you Birky!
P&O recommend you tip £3.75 each day which covers your table waiters and cabin steward.That is per person-not per cabin. We were on a 3 week cruise recently and it was part of a world cruise. We noticed a lot of empty tables around us. Apparently the world cruisers get fed up with fine dining every night and opt for the self service option.It was said that the waiters make poor pickings off the world cruisers!
It is a costly business,but most of the waiters are so friendly and do such a good job - they deserve every penny!
P&O were always selling litres of alcohol for very cheap.eg Gordons Gin £7.99!
Apr 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Plan your own excursions.
You can save a lot of money this way - especially if you can join up with another couple.
The pre-cruise research is fun too!

Even hiring a car and driver on the dockside is a lot cheaper than the cruise company's prices.