Search

NCL vs PRINCESS, HAL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCL vs PRINCESS, HAL

Need opinions, please.

I have cruised 4x with HAL and 2x with Princess.
Always having a wonderful time.

Have been given a great price for a NCL 14 day South American cruise on the Dream over the holidays - - will I be satisfied - - need pros and cons, please.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM
pat

check out www.cruisereviews.com
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:48 PM

luv2fly,

We have cruised Canival, Disney Constellation, and RCCL several times. Once on NCL. I cannot compare HAL or Princess but I would have to say the food at some time was just as good but most times it was not as good as the other cruise lines. I don't make the food my priority and if a good price presents itself I would go ahead and book. We are going to Hawaii on NCL this week. We are going again simply to see Hawaii. You can also read reviews.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:25 PM

The Dream is an older vessel but most cruise lines put their older ships on the South American - Cape Horn cruise.

We were on the Dream in 2005 for an Alaska cruise. One of the engines broke down and we had to miss a port. NCL knew about this problem weeks before our curise but did not notify us until we were on the ship. Many of the passengers were quite unhappy with the way NCL handled the situation.

Also, it's cold down there in Patagonia. I'd go with a ship that has a sliding cover over the pool like on HAl's Rotterdam. Also, the Rotterdam ends in Rio which is the most scenic port in South America.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:39 AM

I generally book HAL as I enjoy the ships., staff and food.

I was on Dream several years ago. I am sorry but IMO this ship is not only old, she is worn. I would not cruise aboard at any price as the adage "you get what you pay for" is appropriate.

While not an NCL fan overall (it is the antithesis of HAL in every way), I have cruised on their ships and had an acceptable cruise. The overall ambiance of casual/food court/small cabins is not appealing but by dining in the pay extra venues every evening, I was able to get good food and service.

On no level do they compare to HAL and the Dream is in a class by herself.

I also contracted Noro on the that ship on the last segment of the cruise and was quarantined for 2 days along with hundreds of others. She never felt very clean and was not in good shape then and that was 3 years ago.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:45 AM

I should have mentioned I was on the NCL Pearl. She had her maiden voyage in Dec.2006 and we sailed in Jan 2007 so it was a new ship. The ship was nice since it was so new. I had been on an old RC ship once swore I wouldn't sail on an older ship. 10 years or more. In that case this ship you are speaking of you might want to reconsider. See if they still have problems that other posters are posting about.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:19 PM

"On no level do they compare to HAL and the Dream is in a class by herself."

Actually, the Dream had a sister ship - The Wind. Both ships were cut in half and "stretched" in the late '90s. The Wind is now serving Asia for NCL's parent company. It's now called the Superstar Aquarius.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:47 PM

Interesting in that the NCL Dream will be doing the Boston to Bermuda run in 2008. Friends who have been on the ship love it..one has been on it several times.. She said there is something special about the crew and the ship itself. We ourselves prefer smaller shops and this will be replacing the Majety which was stretched... I can hardly wait..