Search

NCL Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCL Hawaii

Anyone been on the Pride of America out of Honolulu? we just booked a trip for July 4th and i'm curious on reviews/pros/cons..We have been on one other NCL out of Alaska and loved it..hoping for that or better :0 thanks
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:12 AM

Look at www.cruisecritic.com for reviews of this ship. I've known three people who have done this route. One liked it and the other two said never again with NCL. One fellow said the food was terrible, the service awful and that NCL had changed the dates of their excursions w/o telling them thus incurring $$ lossses for missed times. He said you could not pay him to cruise with them again. The Pride ships seem to have their own issues really. You asked. Sorry. I think its always better to check things first B4 you book, even if other experiences w/ the same line are good. Good luck.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:40 AM

Yes, I have gone twice. You are best to look at this vacation as what is outside the ship. It's a fantastic itinerary for seeing a great deal of Hawaii. The ship is transportation, meals and lodging. Don't expect a lot more.

A car rental is an excellent and CHEAP way around, allowing plenty of touring options. Have your plans all in place before you go, you don't want to waste a minute.
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:03 PM

I'm late coming to this topic, but I cruised with NCL in Hawaii during the Christmas of 2007 and would strongly encourage you to book all of shore excursions now. Even if you just want to spend a day at the beach, have a plan about where you're going, whether its through NCL's excursions or not. As BudgetQueen said, the itinerary is great if you've got plans for each day.

I was not pleased with the service, food, and amenities on the Pride of Aloha, and would probably not cruise with them again. However, looking back at our time, we saw a lot more of Hawaii than we would have otherwise. My advice is to go in with a positive attitude and a well-planned (and booked) itinerary!
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:50 PM

NCL is the only one offering crusie within Hawaii only, without stopping at an internation port. With that said, becasue of the US maritime rules, they must employ US only crew and not the normal international crew you will see on the other shps. (The other ships travel to the Hawaii islands from Vancouver or somewhere else and stop at another country.)

I am not saying that the all American crew is better or worst than the international crew. They are just different, in terms on how they service the customers and the training they received and so on.

I have not been on the NCL ships with the all American crew. I did heard a lot of direct comments from personal friends that the service is not comparable to the other NCL ships.
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:30 AM
bc

We have cruised on the Pride of America. No, the service and food are not comparable to what you would find on other cruises...yes, the U.S. crew makes a big difference. The onboard experience is not the same..think Holiday Inn and Applebees rather than more upscale. However..you are in port each day and the chance to travel to the different islands without having to spend an entire day or two traveling to make the required stop in another country is more than worth it. Would we go again? In a heartbeat! Have a wonderful time.