Reload this Page >

Norwegian Wind - Hawaii

Search

Norwegian Wind - Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Lucy

Norwegian Wind - Hawaii

We are booked on the Norwegian Wind in November-after reading all the negative postings we are really getting worried. Has anyone had any positive experiences????

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:36 AM
Bruce

I also saw many bad critiques (undated) on Expedia.ca. When I phoned NCL Cruise Relations they softpedaled- Every cruise has unhappy customers- all ships have toilet problems, etc. Would like input from recent Wind cruisers re: 10/11 Day Hawaii.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:42 AM
Peter

Keep in mind that the Wind is an old NCL ship that was undersized compared to the more modern ships so they cut it in half and added a middle section to "stretch" it to its current size.<BR><BR>In my opinion, the better NCL deal for Hawaii is the Star, its newest ship, that does seven day cruises from Honolulu. Several November and December dates have insides at only $299 including Pauls, non-commisionalble (port charges) expenses.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:14 PM
Paul Therault

All ships have toilet problems?????

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:18 AM
Bob

"Norwegian Wind" sounds like what you get after eating too much lutefisk. No wonder they have toilet problems...<BR><BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:06 AM
Yuk

Yes, Paul. All ships have toilet problems. Just like all homes have toilet problems--somewhere along the line. Now take that x 2000 for a ship!!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 11:15 PM
Paul Therault

I have been on 77 cruises and never had a toilet problem except on NCL. And if it breaks at night you have to wait to the next day to have it repaired. No maintenance people work at night.<BR><BR>Maybe I'm just lucky.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:33 AM
xxxxxx

Paul,<BR><BR>Maybe you should go out and buy a lottery ticket-----I've had toilet problems on Celebrity!!!!!

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 05:41 PM
CharlesL

Paul,<BR><BR>I am taking my 1,021st cruise this week.<BR>Of the 18 ships I have worked on during the past 27 years, EVERY one of them ALWAYS had toilet problems. I worked for NCL for some time. They were no better or worse than the others so far as toilet problems were concerned. The worst problems I encountered over the years were with Royal Viking (Sea, Star, Sky)and Seabourn (Pride).<BR><BR>You really ought to get your facts straight.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Paul Therault

Well Charles, I guess I am just lucky. I once had a shower drain clog on a Celebrity ship at 3AM and it was fixed within 20 minutes.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:59 AM
Lucy

Thanks for all your replies but--- we seem to have gotten sidetracked with toilets-- surely a cruise is more than toilet problems!!!!! Has any one sailed recently that can provide some insight. We are leaving in two weeks. Thanks for your opinions.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:11 PM
Peter

Lucy - no one has any positive things to say about an old ship that's been stretched. Sorry.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:56 PM
Laura

Hi Lucy,<BR><BR>I just got off the Wind's October 18th sailing. We had a wonderful time and we especially enjoyed Fanning Island.<BR><BR>We had a room on the Deck 5 and had absolutely no problems at all with any part of the room. There was plenty of room to put away our clothes and there was even a small sofa (that could be made into another bed if needed) in the room. No fridge, though. However, the room steward kept us supplied with fresh ice. <BR><BR>The food was good to very, very good. Le Bistro, as always was excellent. The shows were typical cruise productions.<BR><BR>Go to Cruise Critic at:<BR><BR>http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=frm&amp;s=927093444&amp;f=477097554<BR ><BR>and you will find plenty of reviews of the Wind. Not only that, there are people sailing on the same cruise as you and they are asking for fellow cruisers to get in touch.<BR><BR>We met two other couples on Cruise Critic that way who were sailing with us. We arranged to meet at Dukes (next to the Royal Hawaiian)for a drink the night before the cruise and had a wonderful time. We saw them several times on the ship and even went snorkeling with one of the couples one day. (That would be Hobbsey on Cruise Critic.)<BR><BR>If you have any specific questions, just ask me here or post on Cruise Critic. There are many people who will be glad to help you out. <BR><BR>I am sure you will have a wonderful time aboard the Wind! Bon Voyage!!!!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:23 PM
Lucy

Hi Laura, <BR><BR>Thank you so much for that positive information. I was really starting to have second thoughts about going at all!!<BR><BR>I will report on our experience when I get back. Thanks again!<BR><BR>Lucy

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Lucy

Just got back from the Hawaii sailing of the &quot;Wind&quot;-- had a great time and the ship was fine. Thank you for all your help and input! To all you negative people on this site-- one piece of advice-- if you want everything to be as perfect as home then maybe you should stay there! One thing I have learned in my many travels is that you have to enjoy the experience not dwell small inconveniences!<BR><BR>P.S.-No &quot;toilet problems&quot; and when I called about a strange noise in our cabin, they had someone there within 5 minutes! <BR><BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Peter

Lucy - how was Fanning Island? Worth the four days at sea to get there and back?

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Lucy

We enjoyed seeing Fanning Island. I wouldn't travel 4 days just to see it. But since we love cruising, the 4 days at sea was part of the vacation and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Laura

Hi Lucy! So happy you enjoyed your cruise, but I knew you would. Did you get a chance to see the school rooms up close on Fanning? Did you have a favorite server on board? How was the food?

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Lucy

Hi Laura,<BR><BR>Thanks, it really was a great time. Such a good way to see the Hawaiian islands and decide which one we'd like to go back to visit for a longer period of time. We did not see the classrooms up close, but did see the school from the roadway. We really enjoyed talking to the &quot;natives&quot; and were pleasantly surprised at the number of people who spoke English.<BR><BR>We did not have a favorite server because of the &quot;Freestyle&quot; dining, it was rare that we got the same server twice. The food was good, never had a bad meal. We really enjoyed the Italian restuarant- La Trattoria and there quite often. The Bistro was excellent-- it probably had a lot to do with the ambiance and exceptional service and of course the food. We were told that the food in the Bistro wad not prepared until you ordered your food, unlike the Four Season

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Lucy

OOPS... hit the wrong key!!<BR><BR>continuing........ <BR><BR><BR>dining room where the food is mass produced and then brought out when it was ordered. (Even that food was OK)<BR><BR>Again, we knew when booking NCL that we were not getting the top premier cruise line and the &quot;Wind&quot; did not disappoint we felt we got excellent value and will definitely cruise with NCL again. I cannot think of any real complaints or issues that arose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -