Search

Motu ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motu ??

What is a Motu or a Motu Picnic ?? I am working on planning our Cruise/Trip to Tahiti and that's all I see but no explanation - I'd appreciate your help - I don't know if I should do that for a shore excursion.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 02:57 PM

JerseySue:
It has been a few years since I cruised the South Pacific, but I believe "motu" means a small island. So I guess your excursion would include a picnic on that island.

They sure are beautiful--nice clear water, etc. I do remember one area that had a barbeque pit like for a hog roast. We didn't have a meal included on our excursion though.

Maybe someone else will respond if I am wrong.

What cruise ship are your taking?

Happy planning!!
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Radisson's Paul Gauguin
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 03:41 PM

JerseySue:
I hear very good reviews for that ship. I cruised on a Renaissance ship--1st balcony I ever had. It was nice. Early mornings on the balcony, I could even hear roosters crowing on the islands.

I took the 7 day cruise and then stayed on-board for the next week (same itinerary). 14 days of relaxation with palm trees, beautiful waters, beaches, etc. Good food--no smoking and no kids!

I guess the worse thing about the trip was the long 8 hour flight from LA.

Do you have a date picked out for your cruise?

Hope you have a great time!
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Cruiser - yes - we leave on Sept 25 but we have 3 night pre-cruise in a OWB !! Can't wait !! We have a balcony too !
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 03:01 PM

We were on the Paul Gauguin in September 2003. This was one of the best trips that we have ever taken - hard to say the best because I love Europe but it was pretty much perfect. A Motu is a small island - Radisson owns or has a lease on a small island off of Tahaa where they host a day. This is not to be missed - its like being on Gilligan's Island with open bar (drinks made in coconuts) and bathrooms. The prepare a wonderful lunch that includes all kinds of salads, fresh grilled fish in addition to the usual fare. The water is crystal clear. There is also a moto off of Bora Bora. While it does not have the facilities (ie. bathrooms and food) if you like beach days it is probably a better beach and they do have an open bar. We went to the Bora Bora motu on the second afternoon that we were there - had we gone the first day I am sure that we would have gone back the second day. Have a great trip - I want to repeat this trip in the next year or two - it is the perfect romatic get away.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi StephBlack - can you help me with another question since you were on the Paul G - how do the people dress on there - really casual at nite or dressy? and thanks for the Motu info - we will definitly go to all when we have the chance !!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:24 AM

JerseySue -

As far as dress goes at night other than shorts or jeans which they prefer that you don't wear to the dining room you saw pretty much everything. Think Tommy Bahama types of things - sun dresses, capris, slacks for women and dockers and Tommy Bahama/golf shirts for men. The one night that people did tend to dress up a little more - some men wore sports coats was the captians reception. During the day things are very casual - shorts, swimsuits w/ cover-up, etc.

One other thing that I highly recommend if you enjoy learning about the history is the lectures and walking tour on Moorea given by Mark Eddows. He is very intersting and entertaining.