Mistakenly didnt take air/sea package.

Jul 29th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Mistakenly didnt take air/sea package.

I have always booked my cruises with a travel agent and always took the air/sea package. This time I saw a good deal on Travelocity and booked it. I didnt realize the air and cruise I purchased are separate. No wonder I was able to pick my own flights and get them for cheap! Can I still take Royal Caribbean shuttle from the airport to the ship or do I have to take a cab?
Jul 30th, 2003, 06:48 AM

I'd take the taxi. RCL may let you purchase a transfer to/from the airport but you will have to call them directly for that. One suggestion is to fly into your city of departure the day before your cruise leaves especially when you do your own air. That way if your flight is delayed you won't miss your cruise. One advantage of the cruiseline's air/sea package is that they will get you to the ship at their expense if there are flight delays, when you do your own air it's up to you.
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Yes, you can purchase transfers from RCL.Call the reservations department and they will want your arrival and departure information.If there is enough time they will mail you transfer vouchers.If not,no prob.The rep at the a/p will have a manifest when you arrive and their will be one at the pier as well when you return from the cruise.
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:53 AM

You can also call Travelocity and ask if you can get the shuttle.
Jul 30th, 2003, 06:06 PM

cbo86 is WRONG when he says: "One advantage of the cruiseline's air/sea package is that they will get you to the ship at their expense if there are flight delays." Cruise lines no longer take responsibility for airline delays. My friends were booked on a Windstar air/sea package from Barbardos. Their flight from Dallas to Miami was delayed, and they missed the connection to Barbados. Windstar's position on this was that it was up to American airlines to get them to the ship. They missed two days of their honeymoon cruise, and there was no compensation (or even any sympathy, for that matter!) from Windstar. AA gave them $500.00 in vouchers. Hardly adequate compensation for a ruined honeymoon.
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:13 PM

Virgo- did your honeymoon friends book themselves online or thru a travel agent...

Friends of mine missed a cruise in March out of Ft.Lauderdale---( 1st cruise port was Dominican Republic)...The cruise line put them up at a waterview hotel for 2 nites, the airlines took care of meals, the airlines flew them to the next port, adn the cruise line gave them vouchers for a furture cruise ==plus the airlines gave them refunds for a portion of their trip.....

So, YES- it does PAY to take the cruise ship air.....and actually it would have been even better if they had trip cxl insurance ( they did not)..IF they did, they would have been re-imbursed up to $500 pp for trip incidentals..
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:15 PM

sorry- can't spell tonite...........
PS my friends booked thru their local agent....
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:48 AM

Virgo839 is MISSINFORMED. The majority of cruise lines will get you to the next port at their expense if you book their air/sea package thru THEM and you miss the sailing due to flight delays. Yes you may miss out on some of your cruise by staying in port as Virgo's apparent friends did, but as people say "s**t happens" so be prepared. I agree with Andy that trip insurance will give you that peace of mind knowing that your important event(ie honeymoon) won't be ruined.
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:02 AM

It's rarely a good idea to book the air through the cruise line.

Think about how many times you've flown in your life. What percentage of the time have you arrived more than a few hours late? One flight in 20? One in 50? How many times have you actually been a day late? One flight in a hundred?

Not saying it never happens, but it's been extremely rare in my experience. Also the dollars you save booking your own air will probably pay for a hotel night so you can get into the port a day early, get an extra vacations day and be rested for your first day on the boat.

As to transfers from the cruise line: they are usually more expensive than taking a taxi (especially if you have more than 2 people!), and you have to wait for the but to fill up and leave (while a taxi goes when you want it to go).

Cheers!
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:53 AM

Do your own air and purchase the transfers. That gives YOU control over your flights/schedule/rates, etc. Getting the transfers gets you and your luggage to the ship with ease. Depending on which port, usually you are met at the airport and transfered to a bus to the ship. Sure it may be a little more expensive than a cab but you don't have to worry. Let the cruise line take care of you.
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:47 AM

We did our own air over for a Celebrity cruise out of Tampa. When we arrived in Tampa, and while waiting for our luggage, I asked the Celebrity rep about the transfer. She told me it would be cheaper for the two of us to take a Taxi than to purchase their transfer. And it was. No hassles with luggage as a porter at the port took care of it for us.
Aug 1st, 2003, 04:42 PM

Whether it is cheaper to book transfers through RCI or take a cab depends on the city. We have previously saved money and time by booking with a shuttle service in New Orleans and Tampa. We are due to cruise out of Harwich, England on Sept. 3 and in that case it was cheaper to book with RCI. A car service would have been cost-efffective if there had been 4 of us, but for 2 RCI was the better deal.

We always book our own air. I have questioned both RCI and Canival reps about the procedure if a connection is missed and they are very vague and say to deal with the airline if it happens. I get the impression they wouldn't be all that much help. I would look to the airline to get me where I need to be because it is their failure. But in the long run we probably saved so much money over time by booking our own air and never taking insurance, that it would at least balance out.

On our last Carnival cruise, the ship arrived in port about 6 or 7 hours late at the end, due to fog. We were flying out the next day, so no problem. But this announcement made on board was something like this: "For our air/sea passengers: once you leave the ship you should proceed to the airport as soon as possible and go your airline check in counter for assistance." Duh!! Anyone who couldn't have figured that out is too stupid to be leaving home.
Sep 1st, 2003, 05:53 PM

Just another view. We were booked on the Infinity through the Panama Canal last year when the cruise was cancelled. We had booked our own air. When the cruise line cancelled, we were offered a free cruise plus a full refund, but only a small amount toward the air fare. And the insurance company refused to cover the loss because they said it was the cause of the cruise line. If you wnat to choose your own flights you can, if I remember correctly, pay a fee 0f about $35 pp and specify the flights. We have done that and were much happier with the flights.
Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:14 AM

Booking air through the cruise line is like purchasing insurance- more expensive in the beginning, but in case you need it... Most cruise lines will only help you if you purchase their air.