Cruise Airfare

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Ellen

Cruise Airfare

I would like to address this question to Paul. You seem to be able to answer questions for first time cruisers like me.

My husband and I are committed to going on a cruise in December of this year. We have it narrowed down to two ships sailing out of Florida. What I don't know is whether we should purchase the airfare from the cruise line or should we book it ourselves, separate from the cruise. I know that doing it separate would be cheaper, but there must be a good reason to buy them together or other wouldn't do it. What am I missing? Thank you.

Ellen Novack

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 01:49 PM
notpaul

Ellen, We have found that by doing your own air its a lot cheaper. Usually we save enough to pay for a hotel for one night either before or after the cruise. By travelling the day prior you should be able to arrive timely for the cruise. I know there are those who are committed to purchasing the air through the cruise line because they will get you to the first port should you miss the ship, but if you travel one day early IMO you should be safe. However, I can book BOS-MIA for approx $169-200 x 4 people and the cruise line charges $329 ea. Also, there is no gaurentee that the cruise will fly you direct, nor will you have a choice of airline. This past April we did ouw oen air and a few of our group booked throught the cruise line. They all had layovers on RDU or ATL. With so many direct flights why?

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Cheryl

It all depends where you are embarking from. We are leaving from Vancouver and sailing to Hawaii and flying home from Hawaii. If I booked my own air I would be paying throw my nose (laughing). The cruiseline air is $750 per person. Air home from Hawaii alone is about $800.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Patty

Except for one cruise, we have always arranged our own air. Here are the main advantages/disadvantages as I see them -
Booking own air:
Pro's
- generally less expensive unless it's an open jaw itinerary (flying into one airport and out of another)
- you have control over the airline, flight times, routing, and earn FF miles
Con's
- you're responsible for getting yourself to the ship in case of any delays

Cruise line air:
Pro's
- sense of security from having the cruise line make all of the arrangements of getting you from shore to ship in case of delays
Con's
- generally more expensive
- no control over choice of airline, flight times, number of stops unless you pay an extra 'air deviation' charge

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:43 AM
Paul Therault

Definitely one can get much more reasonable prices by booking on your own rather than the cruiselines in most instances. The only negative is that you have no control and no help if the airline cancels your flight and moves you to a later one and you miss your ship. Always best to go down the day before.

The airlines could care less about their passengers and what they do to them.

I know of a couple that booked their air to Disneyworld about 8 months in advance. They had a perfect non-stop flight leaving early in the morning. A week before they were to leave the ailine cancelled their flight and moved them to a late morning connecting flight. Good thing they were not taking a cruise since they would have missed their ship and they would have been on their own to get a flight to say Cozumel.

If one is going down the day of the cruise just think about what might happen. There are many variables such as weather, strikes, walkouts, holidays, etc.

It's the luck of the draw.

Paul

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Dawn Ct

We are cruising next April on the Explorer out of Miami. When I checked the airfare, I could have saved perhaps $25 per ticket if I booked on my own. Because we are going school vacation, which is trypically a very busy, over booked time in the northeast, the prices weren't that competative. It was worth it to me to book the cruise air in case there are schedule changes or in case, due to illness or an extention of my husbands military deployment, we need to cancel. That way, I am covered by my cruise insurance.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Peter

The advice I would give for cruises that are NOT open jaw is:go down a day early, stay in a motel, get to the ship around noon and enjoy that half day on your ship. This will ALWAYS be cheaper and just as safe as the cruise line airfare option. In addition, you will be in control of the times and connections for your flights. Cruise line airfare sometimes takes you on some pretty ridiculous routes at very inconvenient times.

I hope you and others learned their lesson by asking Paul for his help. Read his post and tell me he gave you an explicit answer!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Annoyed

You guys, especially you Paul, should take your asinine fighting off this board. Just Email each other with this. That way we won't have to read all your crap.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Sunny

Ellen,
I have found the air prices usually higher through the cruiseline, with this exception. In Dec.(holiday time), and probably March, (Spring Break) to San Juan, or other desirable beach locations the airline prices can be higher than normal, and the cruise line may not be much more. For us, coming out of Texas for a cruise over New Years, the prices to San Juan were similar, or only slightly higher. Last summer we booked through the cruise line to Vancouver, as it was cheaper. Cruise prices vary; check both.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Annoyed

Sorry, I meant you Peter. Paul, I like your answeres. They seem sincere. Peter, all you do is bash Paul. Grow up!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:20 AM
India

Hi Ellen,

Of course if you book your own airfare it's cheaper. I booked my own airfare for my honeymoon, which I flew out on 9/10. At the end of the cruise, several days later, flights were scarce, due to 9/11, and the cruiseline paid for hotels for those guests who booked with them and offered discounts to those who had not.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:21 AM
wondering

Peter, is there ANYTHING in your life other than Paul bashing? I HONESTLY think you need professional help with this.You should step back and take a look at yourself. You have become much more of a fool than what you claim Paul to be. You REALLY DO NEED HELP!!!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Peter

Wondering - you know, I am rude, insensitive and perhaps compulsive when it comes to some things; but, most know that and take what I say with that reference. Paul, on the other hand, believes he is omnicient when it comes to travel advice and does make up things he knows nothing about. Who is more dangerous to the posters with questions?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:55 AM
teacher

Evidentally Peter isn't omniscient or he would know how to spell it!!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 11:34 AM
dr.no

Not to be too concerned re/Peter.
His lobotomy will calm him down. That's coming up fairly soon.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Ellen

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to my question. I must admit that I still am not quite sure what to do about airfare, but it still seems to me that purchasing it on our own and going down early makes the most sense.

I truly wish Paul would have given me the logical reasons to go with the cruise line airfare as he is obviously the most knowledgeable person on this forum. So much bickering, its difficult to even read some of this.

Ellen Novack

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Nopaul

Somebody's got to do it annoyed. Paul frequently makes mistakes in his comments. These to first time cruisers could mean the difference of one cruise or another, or hundreds of dollars to thousands of dollars.

So although Peter's comments may be annoying they are not costly.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:52 AM
xxx

FODORS - delete this dumb-ass thread.