Air Arrangements

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Arrangements

We are considering booking a cruise on the Pride of Aloha next summer through cruisequick.com. Our concern is the air travel. We'll be traveling from the East coast and want to go out one day early. Cruisequick has told me that the cruise line takes care of all of the air arrangements and that we won't know what those are until 2 to 4 weeks before the cruise. We don't want to end up on flights leaving at odd times or with multiple stops. Does anyone have any experience using cruise arranged air from Washington, DC or Newark, NJ to Honolulu? How did it work out? Would you do it again? Thanks.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 06:20 AM

Since you want to go a day early, why not just do your own air arrangements? You can hand pick your flights (allowing enough connection time) and arrive when you want. I've always done my own flights and feel a lot more comfortable and save a lot of $$. On your departure back home, don't pick a flight any earlier than about 1:00pm to be safe.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:00 AM

gabebash...Presently, the air add ons for the East Coast cities/regions with the Pride of Aloha sailings are running $825-850 per person if purchased with the cruise.You can get air on ATA for around $590 or with DL for $775 give or take a few bucks.If you purchase the air in conjunction with the cruise and then choose to "deviate" then there is a fee of maybe up to $50 per person to go a day earlier or even request a specific carrier.IMHO, I would do the air seperately.That way you get exactly what you want.Happy Sailing!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
P_M

I have never allowed a cruise or tour company to book air for me. I have always found it to be priced the same or less by booking on my own, plus I can choose my own schedule and airline. They sometimes present these packages as if you don't have the option to do it on your own, but you do.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. It's sounding like doing it on our own is the way to go. How do we handle transfers though? We're a party of 10. Can we arrange for transfers to the ship from the hotel and then from the ship to the airport at the end? Who do we make those arrangements with?
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
P_M

You probably can buy transfers from the ship, but for a party that large a couple of cabs might be cheaper.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:08 PM

try this.....www.robertshawaii.com...But they may be too expensive..just athought...
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:59 PM

We did it through the cruiseline, actually m-i-l did because the whole package included 2 free nights in London before departing Dover. Plus all transfers are included.

We have always booked our own previously.

We did have to wait this time to get our flight information about a month beforehand.

Good luck whichever you do.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
RBR

I agree that you will almost always find a lower air fare on your own, away from the cruise lines-BUT-when do you have to buy that air to get the lower fare.

If you are looking at next Summer and you find a good fare now, does that it mean it will still be available next spring when you may want to buy.

If you buy it now to be sure you get the low fare, you will holding a non-refundable ticket. If your plans change before next Summer you will be able to get your deposit back from the cruise line assuming you do it before final payment but you will still be left with the air ticket.

If you do the air with the cruise line it becomes part of your final and therefore you are not risking any money.

Just a thought.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:04 PM

gabebash,
Grab taxis...with as much luggage as you'll probably have you're looking at 4-5 taxis (or maybe fewer if you luck into a van). Not that difficult. You're all going to end up at the same destination. Do your own air and flag down taxis...this is your best bet.